Hockey Pucks for Bump Stop ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hockey Pucks for Bump Stop ?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hockey Pucks for Bump Stop ?

I have done some thread research and I did not find the answer I was looking 4.

I am installing the RC 2.5" lift on my 99 wrangler. When installing the pucks do I attach them on the bottom where the spring sets? Drill and connect through the bottom ?
May I have a short explaination please ?
Do I do this on front and read ?

Thanks.

johnxjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I put some on the front bottom and just used some epoxy to stick them on there. I did the same in the back. It worked for a while, but they ended up coming loose. I ended up getting some Rubicon Express bump stops and am happy with those.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are the extensions easy to install after the fact ?
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i have hockey pucks i bolted on my tj, the passanger side is a pita. re 2 inch extentions on the wifes. the self tapping screws are much easier. either way you need to remove the springs again a drill so its not really going to matter which way you choose it you dont do it on initial install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I epoxied pucks in the front and used extensions in the rear. The pucks are still on after @ 2 years, but I honestly don't think they've been hit by the upper OEM bumpstop more than a couple of times. The pucks I used had a pretty slick surface, so I roughed them up pretty good to help with adhesion. I was able to get the pucks in after the fact by jackin up the opposite end of the axle I was working on. Pretty tight, but doable.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok,
I just got my pucks. Now, what is the best way to mount them ? Is drilling through the bottom spring plate going to be a PITA ?
What type of adhesive would be best ?

Thank you all.
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

I did the same in my XJ. But I needed to get them on in 1 hour so I didn't really have the option of pulling the springs (I'm not that fast). So here's what I did:

I cut a 3" circle out of 1/4" steel. I drilled and tapped that piece, then welded it to the bottom spring pad with the spring still on (that was interesting). I drilled out the Hockey Pucks and countersunk the top puck so the surface would be flat. Then I put each puck in the coil then screwed it in. I'll paint it later when I have the spring off.

I figure my tack welds will hold better than epoxy.

The only force on these is compression. There's no lateral or tension force so it shouldn't take much to hold them in place.

Another option might be to drill your pucks for a bolt, then countersink both the top and bottom pucks. Put them into the spring then hold them together with a bolt and nut. They will bounce around but rubber doesn't exactly *clang*. If you have 2 or more they wont be able to fall out, although, it might flip on it's side. I'm sure with 3, they would stay upright.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

Oh, and my hockey pucks were $3.99 each at Play It Again!! What a rip off, but still cheaper than buying actual bump stops.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , tj , wrangler , puck , hockey puck , bump stop , bumpstop , install , installation , advice , help , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.