Hitch mounted motorcycle carrier? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hitch mounted motorcycle carrier?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
BlackedOutJeep

Hitch mounted motorcycle carrier?

Has anyone used this (or a similar) setup on a TJ?

If so, any problems? Any pictures?
I understand that the extra spacing required to clear the spare tire will act as a lever, increasing the load on the receiver. Anyone think this would be unsafe in the TJ?

The carrier weights 35lbs (aluminum) and my motorcycle weights 192lbs. dry.

BlackedOutJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This has come up before but in short I would not do this. That is a lot of weight on the hitch and can make you squirelly.
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i have seen it done on TJs and XJs around here. it looks real unstable on such a small vehicle....and the front tires are darn near off the ground there is so much tongue weight. 250lbs is A LOT for tongue weight on a TJ.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ive seen it done but its not very safe, the front end gets light and can "walk" a little in the corners and over big bumps.
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think you'd be better off with a small motorcycle trailer. And much easier to get the bike up and off of it.

Cheers! M2
M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
bikerman02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the steel rack and have had it and my 2000 ktm 400 sxc on the back of my old 02 jeep se I used to have. Drove from WV to MI with it on the back. It was fine but the 4 popper with it just s**cked. Thats why i got rid of my SE and got a unlimited. Haven't had it on my new jeep yet though.
bikerman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
magnato1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did it once, carrier is my brother's. It was fine. I didn't notice the Jeep being any squirrelier than usual. I have Rancho adjustable shocks though and usually have em pretty stiff. I didn't have my spare time on at the time either and I don't know if his carrier would actually clear it or not. Good luck!
magnato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
cbmadcow
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Would not recommend this. I watched a dirt bike fall off one of these on the highway at about 65mph. The angles for the ties straps are almost straight up and don't really secure it very well. As stated before get a small trailer.

Kevin
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I haul my bike around all the time with one of these. It works fine, it isn't squirly at all, and also much easier then pulling a trailer.

If you hook the tiedown to the jeep and the carrier it won't come off, it wont move at all. It pulls the bike against the spare tire and secures it.

The front tires arn't anywhere near off the ground unless you tried hauling something like a quad on one of these.
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If your bike ways more than 200 lbs it would be dangerous. Max tongue weight is only 200 lbs on your tj - your barely above the weight limit with the carrier but i still wouldnt do it
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
wgwgoldwing

I personally use a trailer. But, I was thinking. Why the 200lbs tongue weight limit? Is it because of the "tipping" hazard (front end light, back end heavy). If that's the case, would throwing a 100lbs winch on the front increase your tongue weight to 300lbs? Maybe mount a bike to the front and rear and you would be "even-Steven".

WGW
wgwgoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
RWsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use a small utility trailer for my Kids dirt bikes - works well.
As far as the OPs question, it sounds like those who have tried it didn't have any trouble - Those who have not tried it say the sky is falling... Some things never change.
35 MT/Rs - Warn sliders - Kilby gas tank skid - Viking Fastback Top
RWsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've used this setup with zero problems. No light front end. No trailer trying to get in front of the Jeep. Make sure you use tie downs to the Jeep, not just to the carrier, and if your receiver is in an aftermarket bumper, make sure you install frame tie-ins.
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
BlackedOutJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWsjeep
I use a small utility trailer for my Kids dirt bikes - works well.
I have an enclosed trailer but its a real pain to pull behind the Jeep. Its just a tad too big and heavy.

I like my big trailer (when using a proper tow-rig) and I'd rather not buy another (albeit smaller/lighter) trailer. I also have limited storage space at my current location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiweeler
I haul my bike around all the time with one of these. It works fine, it isn't squirly at all, and also much easier then pulling a trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STW
I've used this setup with zero problems.
An pics? Did you guys fab up an extension to make it clear the spare?

Thanks for the help
BlackedOutJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On a light bike like you have, I wouldn't have any problem with it. You aren't putting any more back their than people who have a hitch rack and a couple full coolers are putting in back.

Now, if you went to a bigger bike, I might have some issues... But with ~200 lbs back there... that's not much.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.