Hit a curb... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hit a curb...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
KCCO22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hit a curb...

Unfortunately, managed to hit and mount a curb around 20-25 mph and did some damage to the underneath of the front passenger side. No body damage apart from needing a new wheel and tire which is easily replaceable, but got back on the road and realized the steering wheel was off... by what seems like a lot really. And I do realize that it will need to be realigned but seems like it's off by more than that. Got home only to realize that the passenger side lower control arm was very bent, as well as the the whole body being shifted slightly towards the driver's side which was very noticeable due to the springs being basically shifted roughly 2 inches.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is if the steering and the body being shifted so much is just a result of that control arm being bent so much and if I replace it and the mounts will everything else just shift back? Saw one thread on here talking about the steering being off slightly and how to fix it but this is a little more than slightly.. and I don't think they had the control arm bent either. Also if anyone might have an idea as to what else might be damaged/broken please let me know. Sooner the better I might add.

Jeep is a stock 2005 Wrangler Tj with the 4.0 L I6

KCCO22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I would replace the(side you hit) control arms, they are relatively cheap. Then go get an alignment, and go from there. You already need the ca's anyways.
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
KCCO22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, any idea if the steering could be brought back to the right position by adjusting the drag link? I read about it being done for steering wheels that were out of alignment by 90 degrees but mines a lot worse than that, say 3/4 turn to the left and about 2 turns to the right off center.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did the trac bar bend? I did that once in a similar situation. Forced the right hand spring into the frame.
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

its going to be hard to visually tell considering the stock shape. I'd start with what you know is bent. If the Lower is bent, chances are the upper is too. Fix that, head to the alignment shop. I'm sure they could tell you as well. Since it is stock, the machine can tell if the track bar is bent. It could just be the ca's though. I'd check all my mounts, esp the track bar mounts as they are what centers the axle. Check both sides frame ca mounts as well, and the coil buckets
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
KCCO22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright I'll definitely take a look at the track bars and it's gonna go to a shop to get checked out tomorrow morning, hopefully it won't be terrible. Apart from welding the new brackets to the axle, I can really install the ca's myself and that should save some on labor and up charge on parts. Appreciate the quick responses, I'll let y'all know what they say tomorrow. Can't ever hurt to hear other's opinions too!
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO22 View Post
the whole body being shifted slightly towards the driver's side which was very noticeable due to the springs being basically shifted roughly 2 inches.
Two inches off center is a lot, this tells me bent trac bar. I would put money on it. The only way to tell aside from a side by side with a known good one is to measure the length. Of course if your trac bar mounts are jacked up that could do it, but as some one who had bent a trac bar, in a low speed accident similar to the one described, my money is on the trac bar.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on how you hit it, you could have bent your axle shaft also.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I have an old one I took off if you need me to measure it. At least you can compare the length

Tags
axle , control arm , drag link , help please , steering alignment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.