Hissy Radiator Hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hissy Radiator Hose

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
drifts14x

Hissy Radiator Hose

Well, this is embarassing.

So, my old radiator hose was leaking like a sieve, so I replaced it.

In the process, the thermostat housing cracked.

I replaced the thermostat housing (and thermostat) and sealed everything up.

Problem is, even with the hose clamp tight (I'm afraid to tighten anymore, with the aluminum T-stat housing), I still get a slight hiss of pressurized coolant that comes out. It is maybe enough to wet a postcard, each time I stop.

Can I put gasket sealer around the bottom of the hose to stop this, or is there some trick I'm missing from the Jeep world?

drifts14x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

There is no need to use a sealant or gasket. Just be sure the neck of the t-stat housing is clean and smooth and tighten till it doesn't leak. Seems to me you would really have to crank down hard on it to cause it to crack.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've only ever had that happen with old hoses that i've taken off and reinstalled and with loose hose clamps. I guess you could try a little sealant around the end of the hose but it should seal up good without it, something is wrong. As said above take it apart again clean thoroughly and maybe se some new, high quality hose clamps, I have had problems with the cheap AutoBone ones.

Good Luck,
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.