highway handling question for everyone - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > highway handling question for everyone

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Jeepin'J

highway handling question for everyone

hey everyone, new member here.

got my '99 TJ a few months ago and just finished building it......for now.

anyway, i'm having a problem handling it at highway speeds and i'm wondering if it is just me or does everyone with my similar setup experience this as well. on the freeway around 60-65mphs, i have trouble keeping it going straight without constantly paying attention to it or correcting it. to tell you the truth, it gets too tough to handle above 70.

here is my setup:
4.5 RE SF kit, 33 inch ProComp MT's on 15X8's, OME shocks, SYE, Tom Woods Driveshaft, 4.56s, d44 rear locked with a Detroit Auto Locker, open d30 front.

P.S. i just had a brand new re-maned steer gear put in.

appreciate any input to reassure me if all you guys have this problem or what you think i should do to solve it.

Jeepin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
RubiconSS

I'm only up about 3" with 33's and mine drives straight and smooth on the highway. Something sounds worn or bent. Does it do the same thing all the time?
Like pulls right ....etc.
Unread 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
05XJeep05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like not enough toe in. Caster could cause the same problem with that much lift but usually caster effects return to center and toe in corrects wondering. Besides pinion angles more important than caster.

Anyway sounds like you need to check the alignment.
[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Red"]Red 2005 X[/COLOR] - RE 4.5" w/ 3.5" Springs, 33"x12.50" Mud Dawgs, "Drive Shaft is a Woody", TeraFlex SYE, 4x KC Slimlite, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, EK Grab Handles, Custom Made Rear Bumper
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Member #354[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
05XJeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In addition to the previous suggestions, you should also check your front track bar.

If its loose at either end, you'll get the same nonresponsive/wandering steering symptoms you're having.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.