Highschooler's TJ - Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Highschooler's TJ - Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Highschooler's TJ - Build Thread

Hey guys, been doing a ton of research around here, and decided to document all my Jeep work in a build thread as so many others have done. I always enjoy reading them, so hopefully I can return the favor.

I got this Jeep as my first car in February. I'm 17, but hey, it was worth the wait to get a Jeep instead of a...a.....car.

I got it for a steal, and I knew the owner. $5,500, 4.0L auto, 3'' Black Diamond lift 4.11 gears, and some 31'' A/T's, as all listed in my sig. Only downside was the cosmetic condition I got it in.

It went from this:

To this:

In about 6 hours of detailing...

Then in 3 days looks like this:

Okay, after that I have officially caught the Jeep bug, bad. Now its time to start doing stuff. With making payments on the $1500 left that I owed my parents, I couldn't go jump right into a new set of tires, so I found stuff to do in the mean time.

Due to the bad headlights, and driving home from work at night, I wired up some of these. Spliced them right into the fog light harness, works like a charm. I always use them at night.

Whenever I have nothing to do, I just start poking around inside the Jeep. My locking trunk thing had to have been rained on, and was flaking paint very bad; so I pulled it out, sanded down the chipping areas, and hit it with some rustoleum and cear coat.

A couple of weeks later, I got itching for a CB radio so I can talk to my buddies when I finally have the opportunity to go to the local offroad park. Picked up a Cobra from Walmart for $35, what a deal.

Also pictured, sony headunit with aux jack I installed. Wish I had taken pictures during install.

After all that, I had just been enjoying the Jeep. Taking the top down every chance I could get.

{My Jeep on flickr} {Build Thread} {Viking Fastback Top Review}

Last edited by ThomasW; 04-16-2008 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: fixed img link
ThomasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great so far, keep up the good work , i know what its like to be modding on a budget, college, my build thread is in sig

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A week or two ago, my brakes started feeling pretty bad, then the next day were making awful grinding noises. I knew I had to get home quick. Turns out my brake pads were shot! Thankfully I didn't go for another day or so, probably would have torn up the rotors.

My dad fighting the brakes

Yesterday I got my winch plate mounted up, and finally picked up a 3' antenna for my CB radio.

I hooked up the cable on one end, and ran it under the center console:

I then ran it under the carpet and under the back seat:

I drilled a hole in the spare tire carrier, and screwed it right in there. For now the wire is running over the tailgate.

It is just the right height! I love it.

And here's it looking all retarded with the 31's still

Next to come will probably be a wheelin' trip, and I should be getting my warn m6000 in the next few days from a friend (FREE). I'll keep everything updated.
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
randonlee25
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Way to go bro! A little at a time will get it done in time. Then again you'll never be quite done!
randonlee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You are doing a very good job so far. What fog lights did you use to tie into the existing harness?

My first "car" was a 90 YJ. I would highly suggest wheeling with folks who are not in Highschool. You will learn a ton and will be able to impress your friends with finess and make that rig go places you never thought possible

I did pick up my 03 Rubi, blown up, as a senior in HS. Took me a month to get it rebuilt. Since then I have racked up 45,000 miles on it and modded on a college budget.

Enjoy building your rig slowly. No need to rush it and go broke

Last edited by 87warrior; 04-15-2008 at 10:34 PM..
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice man, I feel you on the budget...

College is allot more expensive, and you think you'll have more time to work until the grades start coming in...

Keep up the good work, and glad to see you are not one of those "stupid High school kids"
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im in your boat, trying to balance building the jeep during my senior year of highschool with work and sports and zero money haha
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Keep up the good work I like new Jeepers.

Not to knock you but want people to keep all their body parts. Next time be very careful with your jack points.

This is a bit unsafe in the current condition. A) never trust a jack alone B) the wood is scary. It would have been safer to jack from the under the axle itself since you just needed a tire off the ground.

I always sugest jack stands they are cheap and well needed. If that thing feel while you wore working on the brakes it more then likely would catch a body part under the axle.
2381862126_f92a7f84b6-medium-.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
rockrawling43

Looks good, nice job. The fog lights look like Hella 500's...? anyone?
Unread 04-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
miguelitojeep97

the addiction has begun! I too started beefing up my jeep in high school. At least you have a helper (your dad). I did pretty much everything by myself in my garage with basic hand tools! Good luck with the rest of your build!
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of lights are those , and how much did you pay for them? They look pretty awesome.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #12
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozoWise View Post
B) the wood is scary. It would have been safer to jack from the under the axle itself since you just needed a tire off the ground.
Looks like a brick to me, which would be even more scary.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #13
Bandicoot
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted my CB there, too, until I realized it interfered with the tumble feature on the passenger seat - I guess not a big deal if you don't have ppl in the back often. Good work so far - keep us updated on ur progress!
Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The lights are Hella 500's, $65 from advanced auto parts. When my dad jacked it up like that, I was thinking what the hell?? That was as high as that jack could go. He just kept saying watch out, whatever. I definitely wouldn't do it like that again.

The seat tumble still works with my seat, its just a tight fit. It tilts the CB up a bit when I do it.

I have only been once with some of my highschool buddies.

It was a joke after the first 10 minutes, and I was ready for some real wheelin'. All the highschoolers around here think offroading is mud bogging. I found a great forum for our state, with plenty of clubs, and just other people that get together and wheel. 99% Jeeps. I've made a couple good friends and plan on going on trips with them.

Grr, I need to pick up the winch already, I don't know what I'm going to do between work and school the rest of the week...

Thanks for all the encouragement!
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Double post, sorry. Server hickupped on me this morning, thought I fixed the post from my blackberry this morning but I guess it didn't go through.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.