High speed wobble and shaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High speed wobble and shaking

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Gronkvist
2002 TJ Wrangler 

High speed wobble and shaking

As of lately my TJ has been experiencing some speed wobble when it exceeds speeds of 55 mph. The problem seems to be coming from the front end. I have a 4 inch Fabtech basic suspension system. I just replaced all the bushings on the lower control arms, so I know it's not that. Also, the steering feels a bit loose, but nothing nothing seems to be loose. For instance when I go over a bump, the steering wheel jerks to one side a little bit. Do I possibly need to upgrade to a better steering stabilizer?

Thanks

Gronkvist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im sry i dont mean to be an *** but please please search there are tons and tons of thread devoted to death wobble, i will tell you this now a new stabilizer is not the answer, search, fill out your profile, and welcome
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

didnt realize your profile was filled out my bad
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
DuRubi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check your track bar up front some times the bushings go out or it need to be tightened up. But it also could be an out of balance wheel rotate your tires and see if that fixes the problem.
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think you have "Death Wobble" at 55! You have other problems.How's your tire balancing and alignment?Also welcome to JF!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
nbf6165
2002 TJ Wrangler 

start with balancing tires
nbf6165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My wobble that came in at 55 was caused by a tyre with sidewall damage. Replaced it recently with my unbalanced spare due to a puncture and the wobble is gone. May be a tyre with a bad sidewall.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 02-25-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: corrected typo error.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you may have bump steer.

Did you put on a drop pitman arm? If so did you also drop the track bar to match?

Did you get an alignment after the lift was installed? If not your toe will be off and that can cause wobbles.

I would also check both ends of the track bar and make sure they are torqued to specs as already suggested and also try swapping tires around to see if the issue goes away.
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.