high pinion dana 30 swap - very long with pictures - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > high pinion dana 30 swap - very long with pictures

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #31
douger69

Great write up... I just put my d30 into a wall so I figured I start looking for the common sense swap. Sure enough another forum member comes through again. If your ever in Michigan I'll buy you a case of those bud's...

Doug

douger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
Diablosjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up! It was like being there, but I was drinking Busch Light instead of the Bud. I guess my beer budget is tighter!! Great work.
RED Jeep Club Member #666
Diablosjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #33
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm happy that some of you can make use of my story and pictures...thanks for the replies.

A few posts back, someone mentioned it isn't that difficult to swap the front axle out. I agree....that's why I was able to do it myself. But the axle wasn't already cleaned up and overhauled when I bought it. I took it apart to inspect it earlier on. I took a chance with the unknown history of the junkyard purchase, and was prepared to pull it back out and have it rebuilt if necessary. I discussed some of that thinking in my first chapter. I did later swap out the ball joints, but I don't think it was needed yet. Below are links to the whole story if anyone wants to read it.

The stuff I put together has a ton of pictures and will be a problem for slow internet connections.

essay 1 - my axles for swap

essay 2 - my belly up skid

essay 3 - my rear axle goes in

essay 4 - my front high pinion dana 30 goes in

essay 5 - final details and test drive

So far, I've been able to do all my stuff myself out of my tool box, and everything has worked well. I've installed a few more parts. I'm still reading up about my next purchases. I need some rocker bars and other armor.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #34
bradman16

Just Awesome

hey, that's cool, well done - the work and the write-up. Thanks for sharing, it's guys like you that keep the internet and hobbies in general fun. Cheers
bradman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #35
dest
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As someone planning on swapping out a D30 for another, this is exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks.
dest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #36
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great job and thanks for taking the time to document so in depth. Man that axle is purdy.
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
outlawsix
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since it has been a while...did you have any issues at all with using the factory front drive shaft with the HP30? Im awaiting my rear drive shaft and SYE now. Thank you again for the write up, i have referenced it a few times while doing my lift and axle swap.
outlawsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #38
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im getting ready to install my HPD30. I am gona use this write up as refernce. Thanks

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #39
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Outstanding write-up! Gave you a well deserved "thumbs-up", too.

Regarding the differences in the unit bearings...again, great job!

Regarding the centering ball; I recently swapped mine out. This was the first time I did it by myself. Several years ago when this issue (screaming/angry squirrels) first came up I ended up buying a new drive shaft from the dealer upon their urging...never again! Worth noting also is that the tabs on that yolk, aren't bullet proof. Don't ask...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #40
RckyMtnTJ

Quote:
These are the adjustment bolts for the front lower control arms to set the caster angle. By rotating the bolt head, the shank will move along the elongated hole in the frame mount. Since the control arm bushing is a round hole, the axle has to rotate when you dial the bolt head. My rubicon express suspension lift kit will have adjustable arms, so I won't need these for the reinstall.

...more below....
Did your XJ axle not have the elongated holes, or did you use some other method to keep the axle from moving within the elongated holes? I'm swapping in some Savvy arms with my Dana 30. Can I buy some solid washers in order to use the Savvy greasable bolts?
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #41
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, a fairly thick washer on each side seated within the horse shoe shaped guide will keep the bolts centered.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #42
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtnTJ View Post
Did your XJ axle not have the elongated holes, or did you use some other method to keep the axle from moving within the elongated holes? I'm swapping in some Savvy arms with my Dana 30. Can I buy some solid washers in order to use the Savvy greasable bolts?
No XJ's with the exception of the 2000 and 2001 have elongated holes in the lower control arm front mounts. And only then because they are low pinions from the TJ.

If you have the Savvy arms, they are supposed to have a large fender washer for the front lowers that go under the regular heavy washers to center the arm bolts in the horseshoes.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #43
RckyMtnTJ

I am swapping in another low pinion TJ axle so I still have the horse shoes. I was looking at the bolts today. Each set of lower arms comes with 4 bolts, 8 thick washers, and two bigger but thinner washers. The bigger ones still are shy of filling the full horseshoe. I measure 1 5/8" washer needed and these were about 1/4" smaller. Also I only have 1/ arm. I would expect
to put be 2 per arm.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
MarkNog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bumping an old thread so people see this amazing amount of detailed pictures/information that you cannot find anywhere else.

You did an amazing job man, I hope to do the same... hp30, ford 8.8, 3.5 inch springs, ironman arms.s
MarkNog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #45
mglenn6801
2003 TJ Wrangler 

X2!
mglenn6801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana 30 , high pinion , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.