high pinion dana 30 swap - very long with pictures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > high pinion dana 30 swap - very long with pictures

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up..this will be referenced when i do mine.

Unread 01-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wow. i think if i had the money to do this, i could follow this and be just fine

thanks man
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
valacech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

AWESOME write up... i love the budweiser... an essential component to any comprehensive tool set. ::
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
Grubbi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stu better watch out, this rivals some of his great write-ups!
Excellent work!
Terrain Stompers Jeep Club Cincinnati, Ohio
Grubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
miguelitojeep97

nice write up. Curious though, with all that work involved you didn't ad skids to anything. I had to add skids to my lower control arm mounts because they were ready to get ripped off. Maybe you wheel different terrain. Nice work
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #21
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

whew, you're gonna need a vacation after your vacation!

Seriously though, that's a lot of work, and not the most straight forward work either, so nice job!

(good job with this thread in general too. this kinda content is a gem on JF.)

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #22
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm kind of surprised that with that much work you opted for a front D30 instead of D44. What are your reasons for that?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks fellas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089
I'm kind of surprised that with that much work you opted for a front D30 instead of D44. What are your reasons for that?
sir,

I'm not sure if you read any of the earlier chapters I posted....I knew pretty much nothing about all this jeep stuff until I started reading the forums and asking questions. In my first picture essay, I mentioned that I wanted to start from the very basics and learn from personal experience. In discussions I read or had with some of the folks I've met since I started looking into all this, each modification or product purchase I made was frequently mentioned as reasonable.

I paid more than anyone ever admits for the rear rubicon dana 44, and more than most would think reasonable for the front junkyard hp d30. From what I've learned, I didn't get the impression that the cost of a front dana 44 would be worth it for my limited experiences, especially since I seem to be the worst horse trader in the jeep hobby. I also mentioned in one of the essays, I thought a long time about the tire size I wanted to run before I started buying parts. I hope the dana 30 will be more than adequate for 33 inch tires.

Anyway, thank you for the kind thoughts and thanks for digging up this post. I don't know what percent of forum readers have a high speed internet connection. I bet people cuss me when they try to read my story and it shuts down their computer. My stuff gets buried pretty fast by the other fellas who post regularly here. And I don't feel comfortable about bumping it back to the front for no reason.

I have a lot of additional plans for this, my first wrangler, but I have to work within a limited budget....and this first stage from stock to as it is now will take me awhile to recover from financially.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97
Curious though, with all that work involved you didn't ad skids to anything. I had to add skids to my lower control arm mounts because they were ready to get ripped off. Maybe you wheel different terrain
sir,

several folks have suggested I have some mini skids welded to the lower control arm mounts....I plan to do that very soon. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to go trail riding yet, but that is what I want to do with this jeep when I get the chance. I joined the local club and they have a trip planned for late spring to a rock crawl site (out of state). I hope to have some more armor by then.

thank you for reading the essay.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ah, well if 33s are your max size and you aren't bumping them up bigger, then no worries. Your D30 will suit you just fine.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The hp30 should hold up great to 33's, you seem to be a cautious man so as long as you treat it good it will treat you good. Mine held up for multiple years with 35's running trails like the rubicon every other weekend. The hp30 is the best budget axle fr the front of the tj which can be found with 4.11's and it give much added ring gear strength and if you outgrow it some you could add alloy shafts if you wanted to.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #26
lj_wil
ekorb mi

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, good job.

Some pics
lj_wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #27
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice write-up, thanks
Unread 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #28
bigdog79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

great write up very informative
bigdog79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
izanuff

free bump.. love these write-ups
1 TONS!
izanuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
Michael_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Not to degrade the original posters hard work but swapping out an already made axle is not all that much work. Undo 5 bolts and nuts for control arms and trackbar, remove tie rod, disconnect swaybar link, shocks, DS and brake calipers and it drops out. I guess it SOUNDS like a hard and difficult work but it really isn't, it just takes time.

With that said, I can think of many reasons why one or I would go with HP30 from D30.

Available 4.11, high pinion, bolt on, numbers of available aftermarket parts and upgrades, high pinion, high pinion and bolt on. Did I say high pinion?

You can pick up some HP with 4.11 anywhere from $200 to $500 from what I can see. If you are moving up from D30 with 3.07. HP30 gives a lot of advantages for the money and to me it is almost no brainer if you are into getting more clearance.

Michael K.

Tags
dana 30 , high pinion , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.