high oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > high oil pressure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Sunvista
2002 TJ Wrangler 

high oil pressure

My wife called me from her '02 X to tell me her oil pressure gauge is pegged. She hasn't driven the Jeep in a long time so she didn't remember what it "usually" is. When she got home I looked at it and it wasn't pegged but was reading just below 80 psi at idle on a very hot day. The owners manual indicates normal pressure between 45-65 psi. I'm generally concerned with low oil pressure but do I have a problem here at 80 psi?

Unread 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would bleed the lines just to make sure, sounds like you might have some sludge build up, causing an increase in pressure. The increased pressure might put excessive wear on the seals, and cause them to leak.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Sunvista
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
I would bleed the lines just to make sure, sounds like you might have some sludge build up, causing an increase in pressure. The increased pressure might put excessive wear on the seals, and cause them to leak.
Bleed the lines??? What in the world does that mean?
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't bleed oil lines, I'm not sure what he was talking about. I'd first change out the oil pressure sender which is mounted next to the oil filter. The sender is responsible for most oil pressure gauge problems. Before actually buying it though, unplug its connector first and clean it, then reseat the connector. Could just be a dirty/weak connector that connects the wiring to the sender.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oops, my head was in the clouds, has been all day, I have a cold and am doped up on robotussin . What I think I meant to say was to drain the old oil out, being that she hadn't driven it in a while.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Sunvista
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You don't bleed oil lines, I'm not sure what he was talking about. I'd first change out the oil pressure sender which is mounted next to the oil filter. The sender is responsible for most oil pressure gauge problems. Before actually buying it though, unplug its connector first and clean it, then reseat the connector. Could just be a dirty/weak connector that connects the wiring to the sender.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.