High Lift Roll Bar Mount write-up (with pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High Lift Roll Bar Mount write-up (with pics)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

High Lift Roll Bar Mount write-up (with pics)

I'm putting this here because I did this with my TJ but I imagine it will work for YJ's too.

I've seen a lot of different high lift jack mounts but very few write-ups and even fewer parts lists, so I thought I'd create one. Maybe this can go in the Newbie Guide.

I finally decided to mount my high lift inside my Jeep to keep it out of the elements and still keep it accessible. It's pretty straight forward really. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking here.

Parts list:
  1. 2 x 2.5" muffler clamps (got mine at Checker Auto for about $4 total.)
  2. 4 x 10mm-1.5 wing nuts (picked up at Home Depot for a couple bucks.)

Driver's side muffler clamp will face passenger's side. There are 2 holes in the bottom of my high lift that allowed the muffler clamp to basically slide right in although I had to enlarge the holes just slightly to allow the base to slide over the threads a little easier.

The passenger side muffler clamp will face backwards. My high lift didn't have a hole for the clamp to slide through so I drilled a 3/8" hole for it.

Placement was pretty critical. I initially tried to mount it up above the seat belt mounts to keep it high but the wiper motor cover for the back window hit it when closing. Soft top owners probably won't have this issue. So I had to mount mine below the seat belt mounts. I had to mount it high enough though so the back seat didn't hit it.

Finished from the inside.

Using the 2.5" clamps fit perfectly and when tightened down, the jack is rock solid. All for under $10. I also thought about drilling holes through the threads of the clamps and using just pins for even quicker release but wanted the mount as solid as possible.

Hopefully, this will help somebody else.

TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
I'm putting this here because I did this with my TJ but I imagine it will work for YJ's too.
It looks great! I've seen that done before, but you did a really great job on the write-up, and the pictures are top-notch!

It will work for YJ's, from '92-'95. They have the "family bar" roll bar like you have. The '87-'91 YJ's have the "sport bar" roll bar that looks like the CJ bar.

Very well done!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Finsup
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up, great job and looks like one of the best places to keep it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #453
Finsup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Doing that tomorrow for sure!! Great write up!
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
CoolHipJim

Hi, was this a 60" or 48"?
CoolHipJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a 48. I just got one and put it in there except not bolted up, its just sitting across bungeed down, a 60 wouldnt fit in there.

nice write up tho, looks like this will be my next mod.
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

does a softtop still open with the hilift there?

if not i´ll weld me such a mount next weekend:
http://www.ottensmeier-us-cars.de/fa...e/SDC18604.JPG
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
CoolHipJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
looks like a 48. I just got one and put it in there except not bolted up, its just sitting across bungeed down
I did the same thing because as I was trying to fit the 48" hi-lift across the rear bars as the OP did, I noticed the top of my jack was pocking the soft top of my 04' TJ and I didn't like that. Just something to keep in mind for you soft top guys...

So I just laid it across and used the goofy straps that came with the TJ for the car seat or something to tie it down, and a piece of cardboard to keep the end of the jack from rattling on the rollbar.

Does not interfere with the tailgate or closing the softop back window
CoolHipJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up. Bought a hi-lift today and mounted it this way. Appreciate the help.
Unread 11-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
gaTJgal

Holy mother of gawd dude. BAD BAD LOCATION FOR THAT!!!

What happens in a car wreck? Or even driving on the trails? Your head flops around, often snapping backwards. At the least your passengers will get a bump....at worst (and most likely in a car wreck) a head injury they may not survive. Our noggins don't do well with hard hits to STEEL yanno?

Drop it down behind the seat at least man...
Unread 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, good install, but you might want to lower it down the bar a bit. I have mine about 8 or so inches lower than yours for that reason.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
lvjeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI...
The RED Hi-Lift (All Cast) model's holes on the base do not line up with the 2.5" exhaust clamp as shown with your model above(Cast/Steel). Your best option will be to use only one hole from the base.
If you want to use two holes for mounting, you will have to enlarge one of them. By using this method you will find that the ratchet mechanism will press into the back of the seat and could poke a hole in it...(that is, if you want to mount it low). If you don't mind it being mounted high and in your line of sight along with the safety issues go for it. I only used only one hole on my base to mount it, it's low and 2"inches away from hitting anything. No ratles or shakes. Good write up. Quadratec selles a similar type of mount for around $80. My good man,thanks for saving me $70!

Last edited by lvjeeps; 11-19-2009 at 05:10 PM..
lvjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished this. I missed the part about drilling a new hole, but worked around it. I mounted it just under the level of the rear seat so no worries about passengers hitting heads. it just sucks to use the back, because its so low and in the way, but at least it is not floating around!
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
I just finished this. I missed the part about drilling a new hole, but worked around it. I mounted it just under the level of the rear seat so no worries about passengers hitting heads. it just sucks to use the back, because its so low and in the way, but at least it is not floating around!
do you have some pics ?
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted mine the same way. but with the base sitting on the plastic seat belt cover thingy...and below the seat too.

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.