High Idle, High Pitched Whine, Black Soot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High Idle, High Pitched Whine, Black Soot

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
PolakX
1992 YJ Wrangler 

High Idle, High Pitched Whine, Black Soot

A little background, I just recently finished replacing all the engine gaskets on a 97 TJ 4.0L that I bought a year ago. Prior to replacing everything it would POUR white smoke out of the exhaust like no tomorrow.

Now however I have the following issues -

A high (varying idle) between ~800 - ~1300 RPMs.
A high pitched whine coming from what sounds like the manifold region, it doesn't seem to be coming from belt / pullies.
Black soot on the ground if I give it a decent amount of throttle in neutral.
Low Oil Pressure / Check Gauges Light

Im thinking the idle, sound, and exhaust might be from the intake / exhaust manifolds having a slight gap in the seal? If not would one of the vacuum tubes coming off of the manifold cause it?
I replaced the vacuum line going to the reservoir since the vents were only working on defrost.
I also cleaned the throttle body with a toothbrush (which really got it cleaned up nice) and I replaced the IAC.

As far as the oil pressure goes, Ive replaced the Pressure sending unit, and the oil pump (I put everything back together only to realize I forgot the gasket on the pump, bad? Should I put it on immediately?)

As an FYI I checked the pressure in all of the cylinders and if I recall correctly they were all at 120.
The engine will also throw a code for Target Idle Not Reached, but it did it once then went away for like 2 weeks then came back, I cleared it and it hasn't returned yet.

Any suggestions?

PolakX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yup it sounds like intake leak or vacuum hose off.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Yup it sounds like intake leak or vacuum hose off.
Exactly, IMO.

It sounds like the vacuum leak is responsible for the varying, high idle, and it also sounds as though the 02 sensor has compensated for the leak by going "full rich" resulting in the black soot.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
PolakX
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Exactly, IMO.

It sounds like the vacuum leak is responsible for the varying, high idle, and it also sounds as though the 02 sensor has compensated for the leak by going "full rich" resulting in the black soot.

Max

Sounds like a plan, I'll take a look Saturday in a warm bay
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
PolakX
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On a follow up, would a bad seal/connection to the crankcase vent tube have anything to do with it? Referring to #s 4 and 6 in the picture ...
crankcasevent.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
PolakX
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just a follow up for anyone that maybe searching the same problem in the future ...

I removed the intake / exhaust manifolds, discarded the gasket, cleaned both the manifold and the block, applied new gasket and reinstalled. While putting the manifolds back on, I checked each port after I tightened bolts to make sure they were still sealed properly.

Once everything is back together I fired it up and all the problems were solved.
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

also just for future referance, this is the tightening sequence for the intake/header bolts:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.