High idle 2k rpm, idle jumping on braking - Moab in jeopardy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High idle 2k rpm, idle jumping on braking - Moab in jeopardy

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
AndrewMuadDib
2002 TJ Wrangler 

High idle 2k rpm, idle jumping on braking - Moab in jeopardy

I'm going back to the middle east for a fifth year soon and have one window to take my brother up to Moab - and I have to leave in 2 days.

The Jeep started doing two crazy things - 1: high idle any time it's shifted into neutral (exactly at 2000 rpm) and 2: in the past 10 miles it's started high idling then immediately jumping from 2000 to 1000 rpm and cycling back up to 2000 rpm to repeat again - this occurs between shifts and especially when I brake.

I've put six months straight into building for this trip - and I have to find a way to make it work - this is what's in her:

hesco 4.5 l stroker (I-6) 3 years old and 5,000 miles
nv4500
stak mini monster 3
spidertrax 609's, tru-hi 9 and arb's
hydroboost, psc steering
5.5 RK x-factor, 37's

Please help. I need it desperately.

AndrewMuadDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

High rpms are generally always caused by a vacuum leak. Something you've worked on that uses vacuum like your hydroboost would be high on my list of things to check. The intake manifold is probably the most common source of vacuum leaks from not being positioned properly while being reinstalled. Head leak?

I'd start looking for a vacuum leak if it were me. Good luck and keep your head down when you get back overseas... from an old vet to you, thanks for your service!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMuadDib View Post
The Jeep started doing two crazy things - 1: high idle any time it's shifted into neutral (exactly at 2000 rpm) and 2: in the past 10 miles it's started high idling then immediately jumping from 2000 to 1000 rpm and cycling back up to 2000 rpm to repeat again - this occurs between shifts and especially when I brake.
That could be a TPS problem. In normal operation, the PCM fully opens the IAC once the throttle opens beyond a certain point. The high idle condition occurs when the TPS fails to properly communicate the closed throttle condition back the the PCM. For starters, you might try resetting the TPS connector. Disconnecting the TPS during a high idle episode might also be enlightening.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I the JU forum, I recommended you check the IAC.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with Jerry. Since it changes when you step on the brake that really sounds like a vacuum issue to me. The only direct impact the brakes have on the engine running is vacuum due to the booster.
Unread 09-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

They are the exact same symptoms I had when my TPS went bad. It didn't bring on the check engine light but I did get a code for the TPS show up when I used the key to check codes.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm with jerry on the vac leak. The extra air has to come from somewhere. Sure maybe the TPS could signal the IAC that there is some throttle position and to open the IAC to the max, but 2000 rpms still seems a bit high to me for that. It may be possible, but its gotta be near the upper limit. I would plug a $10 vac gauge into the manifold and see what it reads. If you messed with the TB stop screw that could cause this also.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Sure maybe the TPS could signal the IAC that there is some throttle position and to open the IAC to the max, but 2000 rpms still seems a bit high to me for that. It may be possible, but its gotta be near the upper limit.
In my experience with that very issue, the upper rpm limit of IAC control is around 3000 rpm when in neutral. In "Drive" my Jeep would do 45 mph on level ground with no pressure on the accelerator.
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well then i stand corrected. Was your IAC sticking open?
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Well then i stand corrected. Was your IAC sticking open?
No, it was being "commanded" to open by the PCM. .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.