High eratic idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High eratic idle

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 07-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
03Ruth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

High eratic idle

So I have been trying to find the source of my high idle with no luck. After I start it up the rpm's will run around 1500 for about a minute and then drop down to normal range. Once I start driving I will get the rpm's up to around 2500 and once I push in the clutch to shift the rpm's will stay there unless I leave the clutch in for a bit they will come down. It's really annoying and just seems to be getting worse. The weird thing is there is no check engine light and no codes but there is definitely a problem. Around 5-6 months ago I took off the throttle body, disassembled it and cleaned it shiny new. I have cleaned the IAC and replaced the map sensor about a year ago. The throttle assembly isn't sticking and I have checked for vacuum leaks using the propane method and brake cleaner with no luck. Any ideas on what else to do?

03Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Throttle position sensor or O2 sensor might be the problem. There are a lot of threads on these that cause problems similar to yours.
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I too would say the TPS.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Greenfun2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get a TPS from Autozone. Im on my third one and it's not right.
Greenfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.