Hidden nut on lift question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hidden nut on lift question?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hidden nut on lift question?

Im putting a lift on my 2006 TJ and was wondering if anyone ever ran into this issue? When I took off the original track rod, it had a nut that had a flange attached that would catch on the frame since getting a wrench on it would have been impossible. The RC 4" X series kit came with a new bolt and nut but theres no way to get a wrench on it and the new bolt is a larger diameter so I cant use the old one with the old nut. I have included a couple pics. The first shows the spot where this thing needs to go and the other shows the nut Im talking about. Has anyone else ever run into this? Im going to sleep on it. Maybe Im overlooking something obvious.

thunderbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Use the old bolt and old nut together.
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Use the old bolt and old nut together.
That was my first thought but the old bolt is quite a bit smaller in diameter so I would have play in the sleeve. The old sleeve wont fit in the new track rod. I guess I could try to find a smaller sleeve but probably wont have much luck on a sunday.
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the nut that goes on the new bolt a regular nut with lock washer or a nylock nut? If it is a regular nut with lock washer, you should be able to pin it against the plate, up in there where the old one came from, and get the new bolt started. Or put the nut in a boxed end wrench and stick it up in there, hold one finger on the back and get it started. Just make sure there is room to get the wrench off the nut, after tightening. Did that kit come with an adjustable trac bar? Most kits that do not, will require you to drill a hole 3/4 of an in over to the right. That would make it easier to get the new one to work.
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you can't get a wrench on it then a welder (if you have one or access to one) and piece of scrap will make one like OEM.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Is the nut that goes on the new bolt a regular nut with lock washer or a nylock nut?

Did that kit come with an adjustable trac bar?
It has the nylock style nut. I also did what you said about holding it up in there to get it started to see if I could get it going and I did but there was no chance of getting a wrench on it. I might consider the regular nut with a lock washer. The only thing that worries me is that once it gets some road grime and rust on it, there will be zero chance of ever getting that bolt out without torches.

Yes, adjustable trac bar.

I dont have a welder but I might know someone that does. What a bummer.
Everything was moving along pretty smooth until this. So far Im real happy with the kit with exception to this little nut deal.

I will post my final fix so if anyone finds this thread down the road it might help them.
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not the correct way, but sometimes you can wedge a screwdriver in there for back up. Put anti seize compound on the bolt and check regular.
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
jake1977
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Would you be able to use the open end of the wrench? That seems to obvious but, the closed end would make sense not getting it to come off once the nut is tightened. The open end would slide down off of the nut as long as you kept the wrench away from the sides. Or, is the side to side gap an issue where you couldn't use the wrench?
jake1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The box end of the wrench wont work either. The angle I need to get in there to get any thing on it is impossible. I just ran to the store and picked up a couple nuts. Im going to have a guy at work fashion up a new bracket and weld the nut to it to mimic the stock one. Its the only way I will feel comfortable. For now I used the stock bolt and nut with the plate on it. Its smaller in diameter but it should hold until I get the new one made up tomorrow.

Unless Im missing something, I think it would be a good idea for rough country to deal with this in future kits. I will recommend it next time Im on the phone with them. Im not bashing them, overall Im happy. This one little issue has really eaten up too much of the time I should have been wrenching though...
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When OEM nutstick got trashed, I ended up replacing the bolt and using a nylock nut and spaced it out with 3 or 4 washers. I then used the closed end of a box wrench that was angled. I've had it on and off 3 or 4 times without issue.
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
When OEM nutstick got trashed, I ended up replacing the bolt and using a nylock nut and spaced it out with 3 or 4 washers. I then used the closed end of a box wrench that was angled. I've had it on and off 3 or 4 times without issue.
Holy good ideas batman! I just finished lunch and will give this a shot. By pushing the nut out, I just might be able to pull it off. I will still have the guy at work make me a new nutstick but until then this sounds like it could work.
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I was able to get mine using the open end creatively, I believe I just jammed it under the nut and held the pressure on it and was eventually able to get it tightened down.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would knock the old nut out of the little bracket and weld the new one in there.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Idea XX

I have had to deal with this on my original axle and on a friends. We were able to get a wrench in good enough from the side, not the bottom hole were the factory tab sticks down. But we always said if we had to do it again we would get a cheap harbor frieght box end wrench and cut it off and put the nut on with it and trap it in place and leave it. You could get a wrench for about $5 and the cut it leaving about 2" of the shaft on it and leave it in place.
69injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well its on. The washer trick worked for now. Im still going to have the guy at work weld the new nut on the original bracket.

Also, I finally figured out what the technical term for this nut is. According to the rough country manual, they call them flagnuts. I guess that makes sense. Up until now I chose to affectionately refer to them as $#*@#&%!

Thanks again for the input. I will post before and after pics of my TJ if and when I get it done!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.