Hesitation after driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hesitation after driving

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
kittoria
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hesitation after driving

My 2002 4.0 with 105,000 has a small annoying problem. On cold morning I go warm up my Jeep for like 5 minutes back it out of the driveway. Drive about 150 ft to a stop sign, then when I go to accelerate she revs up and just sits there for like 10-15 seconds. The RPM's go up to like 3000 and when it does go it accelerates fast because my foot is on the gas trying to make her go. She might do it again 1000 ft down the road at the next stop sign. But after that she drives fine. No check engine lights or any other problem and she only does it with below freezing temperature. Any thoughts? Some one said fuel filter but it's getting gas.

kittoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Angus_Brown
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Low fluid in an automatic can make it rev up and engage similar to what you're describing.
Angus_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
kittoria
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes it was fine. Im planning on changing it later this month.
kittoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

First it could be many things from fluid to tranny itself. First fluid level when at operating temp. Next what color is the fluid. If not red and more brownish red then the fluid has had it and needs replacing. Next don't just change the fluid make sure you flush it also since you are having a problem. Fluid stays in different parts when just draining, so you are just kinda making it better fluids. Next are seals. If the seals are leaking it can cause this also. I am not a fan on additives at all but tranx or Lucas tranny conditioner stuff. It swell the seals or it says it does. I have had a friend that the tranx worked for but can not tell you how long. But it is classic morning sickness for trannys. I would flush and add new fluid and a little additive to it before moving on to a possible larger problem.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.