Here's a good on :: Drivers Seat relocation. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Here's a good on :: Drivers Seat relocation.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
The Zombie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a good on :: Drivers Seat relocation.

Hey yall,

I drive a 99 tj sport..

..has anyone relocated their drivers side seat? I'm about 6'5" and the knees get smoked when hittn the trails, and not even the serious trails that i want to do.

*** does anyone have any links, ideas or suggestions and also DO YOU THINK THIS RELOCATION WOULD COMPRIMISE THE AIR BAG??***

please let me know. Thanks.

The Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It will have no effect on the air bag.

The air bag sensor measures deceleration and deploys the airbag accordingly. The position of the front seat is irrelevant.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Position of the seat does not affect the airbag going off... though it can affect the airbag target, causing you to hit the airbag at the wrong moment or in the wrong position.

However, if you're that tall, moving the seat back will probably put you back where you're supposed to be anyway... since the TJ is probably designed around a more average height person.

There was a relocator bracket called the "Big Daddy bracket" or something like that made to move the early TJ seats back 2½" or so... you might want to look into something like that.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Yeti342
2013 JK Wrangler 

Misch 4x4 big boy brackets move the seat back 4".

http://www.misch4x4.com/bigboy_brackets.html
Yeti342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Flipside
2006 LJ Wrangler 

They're called "Big Boy Brackets" and they're made by Doug Misch.
Flipside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
The Zombie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED

You guys are studs, just bought big boy bracket, time since poted 3o minutes. that is amazing, you guys are amazing.

The Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
TJted33

im 6'6" and sit comfortably in the stock location
TJted33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJted33
im 6'6" and sit comfortably in the stock location
Me too @ 6 4" Do you whack your knees?
I cannot figure out how anyone could possibly hit their knees on the dash, but a lot seem to. Tall or short alike...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
TJted33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame
Me too @ 6 4" Do you whack your knees?
I cannot figure out how anyone could possibly hit their knees on the dash, but a lot seem to. Tall or short alike...
nope, my knees dont touch. i have an aftermarket theft chip that sits right where my leg goes by the dash, it hits that every once in a while and knocks it out... leaving me questioning why my jeep doesn't start.
TJted33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im 6'5 and i sit fine...i just recline the seat back alil and kinda lean back. I actually find it quite comfortable.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Bigbob

I'm 6'6" and moved my seat back 2" and I'd still like to move it back another 1" or so. My problem is my head hits the stupid rollbar now. I need to figure a way to lower it 1"-1 1/2" or so. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Bruce The Moost

Maybe he is just more "leg" tall compared to "torso" tall, if that makes any sense at all. I'm 6'2" and my dad is 6'4", but I 'm taller than him when sitting because my torso is longer.
Bruce The Moost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
XJeffro
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am also 6' 6" and I don't have a problem with banging my knees in my 99 TJ. I am evenly proportioned and have no trouble.
I actually have more head room in the TJ than I did in my XJ. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing what the ride was like with a 2 or 4 inch seat relocation...
Silver 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ, D44, 33" MT MTZ black steelies, 3" BDS Lift, BDS Ultimate Discos, Air horn, Hella 500s mounted on windshield w/KC mounts, Xenon 6" sport flares, Fabtech Rear Corners

LETS GO PENS!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!
XJeffro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

sorry to revive an old thread, but i'm 6'5", 280lbs and i'm tired of having bent knees in my WJ, found this thread just lurking around and i don't know how any of you say you are 6'4" and fit fine in a TJ, my buddy had one and he is 5'10" and drove with the seat all the way back, i sat in it once and that was the first and last time i ever sat in the drivers seat, passenger side lacked serious space too, sucked on long trips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.