Herculiner prepping question - sealant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Herculiner prepping question - sealant

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
JCD33
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Herculiner prepping question - sealant

I asked this question in a herculiner thread, but got no reply.

I'm prepping my 03 TJ to put down herculiner in the tub, and I noticed there is some kind of sealant that runs along the seams of the tub and over the base of the roll cage where it's bolted to the floor. It's almost like a tar of some kind It is painted the same color as the body of the Jeep so I assume it was done at the factory.

My problem is that its a very rough surface and I just can't seem to get all the dirt off of it. Looking at pics of other Jeeps' finished tubs I don't really see this "sealant" in those pics. Has this been an issue with anyone else? If so, does the herculiner adhere to this sealant very well?

JCD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
dutch8006
2014 JK Wrangler 

I used a brush and air hose to clean most of it out. Have a 2002 that I did not to long ago and have had no issues with it since I have completed it. Just cleaned it best I could and finished the prep and went right over it. Hope this helps.
dutch8006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD33 View Post
I asked this question in a herculiner thread, but got no reply.
You waited less than an hour on a Sunday night before deciding you "got no reply"?

JF'ers are fast to answer, but daaaaaaa-aaaa-um. A little patience.

Get it as clean as you can, scuff it up, blow it out, wipe it down w/ solvent that won't leave a residue (acetone), let it dry and go to town. Herc likes a rough surface much better than a smooth one...
PyroXian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
orenjr
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just put the stuff in my 99. the sealant was not a problem. get a sanding or grinding wheel and take the top layer off. cleaning done.
orenjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
JCD33
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroXian
You waited less than an hour on a Sunday night before deciding you "got no reply"?
Lol, yeah you're right. Patience has never been one of my virtues. I just saw that the thread was being buried quickly and didn't think anyone would bother reading it if it got to the second page. I was just anxious to get an answer and get back to work on the Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenjr View Post
just put the stuff in my 99. the sealant was not a problem. get a sanding or grinding wheel and take the top layer off. cleaning done.
Ok, that helps a lot. I started sanding it down but I stopped because I didn't know if the herculiner would adhere well to it like that. Thanks for the replies guys.

Another question somewhat on the same topic. I wanted to take my roll cage off so that I wouldn't be bonding it to the floor with the liner, but as I was starting to take off the bolts I notice it was tacked on to the tub in a couple of places. How hard is it to remove? It's tacked on in a hard to reach spot so it seems like it would be rather difficult...
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Fireguy12
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dude i'm doing my '03 tomorrow. Good luck.
Unread 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol, yeah you're right. Patience has never been one of my virtues. I just saw that the thread was being buried quickly and didn't think anyone would bother reading it if it got to the second page. I was just anxious to get an answer and get back to work on the Jeep!

Things move fast, yeah, but until it's 4-5 pages down I wouldn't worry about it getting lost...

Automotive primer sticks fine to the sealant, herc will too.

What do you mean by "tacked" down? I haven't completely pulled my cage yet, but as far as I know it's purely bolted in, albeit with seam sealer under the mounting feet....
Unread 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
JCD33
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroXian View Post
What do you mean by "tacked" down? I haven't completely pulled my cage yet, but as far as I know it's purely bolted in, albeit with seam sealer under the mounting feet....
The place I'm talking about is between the body and the roll bar, about 16" or so above where it's bolted to the floor in the front. About in the middle of the top and bottom parts of the front seat belts. There's one of those torx "security" screws attaching it to the body, but if you look in the back it looks like it's tacked onto the frame in addition to being bolted.
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The place I'm talking about is between the body and the roll bar, about 16" or so above where it's bolted to the floor in the front. About in the middle of the top and bottom parts of the front seat belts. There's one of those torx "security" screws attaching it to the body, but if you look in the back it looks like it's tacked onto the frame in addition to being bolted.
Hmm... nope, not seeing anything on my 2k that looks like it's welded... so I pulled out the handy old FSM and looked at the section on sport bar removal...
1) remove hard top and/or soft top.
2) remove the door opening frames.
3) remove the sunvisors.
4) remove the a-pillar weatherstrips strips (Fig. 68)
5) disengage center support bar cover zipper.
6) remove the bolts attaching the side support bars to the center support bar (Fig. 69)
7) remove the bolts attaching the side support bars to the windshield frame.
8) separate the side support bars from the vehicle.
9) pull back the center section of the carpet and remove the bolts attaching the sport bar to the cargo floor panel.
10) lower the rear seat and lift rear seat to the full forward position.
11) pull back wheelhouse carpet and remove bolts attaching the directional cross bars to the wheelhouse.
12) remove the bolts attaching the seatbelt anchors to the wheelhouse.
13 disconnect sound bar. Refer to Group 8F, Audio Systems for removal and installation procedures.
14) carefully lift the sport bar upward and and remove it from the vehicle.
15) if necessary, remove the pads and covers from the sport bar.

Nope.. no mention of anything welded needing to be ground/drilled out or anything... nor do I recall ever reading anything about that in the countless writeups I've read on bar replacement...
Unread 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
JCD33
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I must have been seeing things because I went back to today and I didn't see anything either.

Started to undo the bolts for the cage and ended up with 4 stripped torx bolts

Happened to anyone else before?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.