Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hemi 5.7 or 6.1

19K views 171 replies 23 participants last post by  BruceR1 
#1 ·
Starting my research on installing a Hemi motor.

5.7. Or 6.1?

Which one should I go with? And why?

What years work best with a 2006 Rubicon?
I want automatic.

#3 ·
The above is incorrect...the harness WILL NOT plug into the PCM.

First you need to answer a few questions so that you can get your project off on the right foot.

1. Are you actually serious about doing this or is it something you'd "eventually" like to do?

2. Are you doing it or will a shop do the work?If you are doing it, then you'll need a better than average tool selection, a welder, torch or plasma cutter, jacks, stands, engine hoist, and be a competent wrench yourself, and so on..

3. Do you have the necessary funds to get it completed?

4. Are you required to pass emissions or inspections?

5. Are you prepared to modify as necessary the rest of the drivetrain as required (if you haven't done so already)?

Start by answering these and we'll go from there.

If you happen to be curious if I know what I'm talking about, read my build thread in my signature..

#4 ·
The above is incorrect...the harness WILL NOT plug into the PCM.

First you need to answer a few questions so that you can get your project off on the right foot.

1. Are you actually serious about doing this or is it something you'd "eventually" like to do?
This will be done in the near future, looking at Craigslist adds and have found several 5.7 from $900.00 to $2500.00 in wrecks

2. Are you doing it or will a shop do the work?If you are doing it, then you'll need a better than average tool selection, a welder, torch or plasma cutter, jacks, stands, engine hoist, and be a competent wrench yourself, and so on.. have all that and more

3. Do you have the necessary funds to get it completed? no problem there

4. Are you required to pass emissions or inspections? no inspections in North GA. But I do not know what the future holds. So what is the difference? Would I be smart and plan for the future and make it so it could pass?

5. Are you prepared to modify as necessary the rest of the drivetrain as required (if you haven't done so already)? it has Tons and running 43s now and can add what ever I need

If you happen to be curious if I know what I'm talking about, read my build thread in my signature.have read it and others, since mine is a 06 model what are the differences? I did read there are differences.
thank you and all information is greatly appreciated

#5 ·
http://redrockracing.com

Im going with the 5.7 as thats whats sitting in my garage next to the jeep. Duncan has if i recall correctly a jeepspeedshop conversion of sorts. I spent a lot of time going through his build before heading down this path. I would say whatever time you think its going to take, double it. Life has pesky way of getting in the way sometimes

Reactions: Wojoe
#6 ·
http://redrockracing.com

Im going with the 5.7 as thats whats sitting in my garage next to the jeep. Duncan has if i recall correctly a jeepspeedshop conversion of sorts. I spent a lot of time going through his build before heading down this path. I would say whatever time you think its going to take, double it. Life has pesky way of getting in the way sometimes
Aint that the truth!! My delays were moving, the holidays, the SEMA show, and working..:D

#7 ·

This will be done in the near future, looking at Craigslist adds and have found several 5.7 from $900.00 to $2500.00 in wrecks

Ok good..look for 05-08 motors as they have some block design improvements from Chrysler. 6.1s are awesome motors but their accessory package makes it a little more difficult to get in. The 5.7 truck motor is the easiest to make work in a TJ.

2. Are you doing it or will a shop do the work?If you are doing it, then you'll need a better than average tool selection, a welder, torch or plasma cutter, jacks, stands, engine hoist, and be a competent wrench yourself, and so on.. have all that and more

Perfect

3. Do you have the necessary funds to get it completed? no problem there

Good...your gonna need some expendable cash :D

4. Are you required to pass emissions or inspections? no inspections in North GA. But I do not know what the future holds. So what is the difference? Would I be smart and plan for the future and make it so it could pass?

The emissions standard that everyone will someday have to go with is the California program. Its kind of a *****. The good thing is your '06 is 3/4 the way there in being 50 state legal. All of your OEM NVLD, Evap, OEM fuel system, dash, and gauges can be left untouched. Add the motor, leave the emissions (not hardly anything really) on it, use JK cats off the manifolds with the 4 02 sensors and you're basically there....lucky dude...my 98 was a lot more work.

5. Are you prepared to modify as necessary the rest of the drivetrain as required (if you haven't done so already)? it has Tons and running 43s now and can add what ever I need

You're good there .

If you happen to be curious if I know what I'm talking about, read my build thread in my signature.have read it and others, since mine is a 06 model what are the differences? I did read there are differences.

PM me your email and I'll send you my writeup

And Apex is right...most of my build was sourced from Todd Custer at JeepSpeed Shop. Jim at RedRock Wiring is also a great source as well as HotWire Auto for the wiring harness.

#10 ·
Also, the truck motors have the larger intake manifold, very similar to the 6.1s. I found that out in my Commander which comes with the truck manifold as I was shopping for cam swaps. Duncan gave me lots of info, Ill tackling the swap this winter/next spring time, wedding is blocking it from happening sooner.

Reactions: jseal57
#13 ·
There are a ton of options on cam swaps. I was going to do the 6.1 cam, springs, retainers, rods etc cause it can be done relatively cheap and the CRM tune is readily available. When I do my swap I doubt Ill be doing any cam swaps. As Duncan said, the later model Hemi's have majority of the kinks worked out, but if you're looking for more power a cam is a simple swap while is out. Check with Arrington or Inertia, both great reputable shops that know their ****. As I said, the 6.1 cam swap is easiest and cheapest, just find someone who upgraded their 6.1 and get their stuff. I sold my Commander before I did it but others have done it with great success. The 6.1 cam swap keeps the low range torque and gives that extra punch up top we all love.

#17 ·
I have an 06 5.7 Hemi, and I chose it based of of what sduncan encountered, Todd at JSS, and Jim at RRW recommended. The truck motor has the intake further back while car version has it towards the front like a LS series motor.

5.7 Truck Hemi

5.7 Car Hemi

My Hemi project has been in the works for over a year,... life, job, family, spare time always are in short supply....My wife will be happy when its done though, as she can reclaim some more garage space.

#20 ·
#23 ·
The hardest thing to find is a decent lo mile motor.
I can see that. A buddy of mine is the guy at a local Chrysler dealer that goes through trades to see what needs to be done with them in order to resale (or if not, sell to a used car lot or send it to auction). His recent comment to me was that vehicles that come in with a Hemi commonly have bald tires. :)

#24 ·
I found mine on eBay with under 36,000 miles. A high mileage one can be had, but I would still go through it and double check the specs/tolerances. I am doing it on my reasonably low mileage unit as well. Also check craigslist, I missed a brand new crate motor a company ordered with Zero miles....old guy was hard of hearing and refused to use email, so he had his wife(no offense meant here ladies) who as she put it didn't know a motor from toaster oven explain to him what I was asking. He got frustrated and decided not to sell the motor, and I missed a sweet deal.

SDuncan, yes I am ready for it to be done,...next up is either buy the harness and mounts which is all I'm missing, or paint/linex the jeep in prep for the motor hopefully going in this fall.

#26 ·
See the pics above. You'll have issues due to accessory placement, intake at the front of the motor, and most important, the VVT (variable valve technology) and the MDS system. Those last two are basically incompatible with the TJ platform and electronics.

Jim at RedRock put one in a TJ and it was quite a project. I believe that he had to figure out how to disable the MDS..not really worth the efforts since the 03-08 truck style motor is a easy drop in.

#28 ·
Check your local Craigslist, I found one that a guy wrecked his 2500 low mileage ram. Bought it back from insurance and parted it. I'm undecided on which way I'll go. I keep checking every month what's available in my area. I may just buy a high mileage one, store it and rebuild it since I'm in no rush. In my opinion, the bottom end isn't really a worry to me, doing some head work might be a good idea even though the dropped valves aren't much of an issue in the years we need. Keep updating this thread or link when you start building, I'd love to follow along and see what route you take with everything.

Duncan, question for you... I had a Commander Hemi with the truck motor but the throttle body was in front, very similar to a 6.1 set up. Any idea if this would work as well?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#31 ·
In Nov 2011 when I bought my 10k mile 08 5.7 and trans I paid $3500 for both. The harness and ECM flashed with my VIN from Hotwire, which was completely plug-n-play, was $1500. As you have found out, lo mile 06-08 Hemi truck motors are beginning to be like unicorns....tough to find and expensive if you do come across one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.