HELP w/shorter antirock links - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP w/shorter antirock links

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

HELP w/shorter antirock links

Well my wife surprised me today for my birthday/going away present with a Currie Antirock swaybar.

That was about an hour ago and needless to say it is already on lol but I am left with the question of how can I modify the link anymore for my needs.

I have a 2.5" lift and I have cut the threads down as far as possible to keep the link ends in place but I am not at my desired measured length. It is around 7 3/4" from joint to joint and I need to be around 7 1/4" for the middle hole. the 7 3/4" puts me at the stiffest hole and I would like to know if there is a way to get shorter links.

My search function hasn't been working over the past 3 days and I haven't seen shorter links on the currie website.

any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
The instructions say keep arms parallel, I have the arms parallel to the ground. don't know if they just need to be parallel to each other or to the ground as I have it.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The arms should be parallel to the frame, not the ground. The frame actually angles up a bit from the front. I think mine are angled approximately 15 degrees from parallel with the ground.
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
Well my wife surprised me today for my birthday/going away present with a Currie Antirock swaybar.

That was about an hour ago and needless to say it is already on lol but I am left with the question of how can I modify the link anymore for my needs.

I have a 2.5" lift and I have cut the threads down as far as possible to keep the link ends in place but I am not at my desired measured length. It is around 7 3/4" from joint to joint and I need to be around 7 1/4" for the middle hole. the 7 3/4" puts me at the stiffest hole and I would like to know if there is a way to get shorter links.

My search function hasn't been working over the past 3 days and I haven't seen shorter links on the currie website.

any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
The instructions say keep arms parallel, I have the arms parallel to the ground. don't know if they just need to be parallel to each other or to the ground as I have it.
You can run them slightly long as long as they don't hit the underside of the grill on full stuff.
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

You can run them slightly long as long as they don't hit the underside of the grill on full stuff.
I don't understand how i would "run them slightly long". Does that mean I can angle the arms higher?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't understand how i would "run them slightly long". Does that mean I can angle the arms higher?

Yes, operating angle makes no difference as long as the arms dont hit the grill/fenders with uptravel and dont invert with downtravel.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You can run them whatever angle works as long as they don't jam up at stuff and invert at droop. There is no magic to the arm angle.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

You can run them whatever angle works as long as they don't jam up at stuff and invert at droop. There is no magic to the arm angle.
Technically not true.

The angle between the links and the arms should be kept as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Mechanically, this gives you the best (and most constant) performance.

This is assuming a 50/50 up/downtravel ratio.

But, as stated earlier, first make sure nothing will hit at full bump and full droop.

The angle between arms and the ground is largely irrelevant.
Gordon-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the responses. what about not using the "jam" nuts, the ones that tighten against the joint. if I don't have any thread left for those nuts is that a problem?

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I might end up going with the 6.5" JK links if they will work and I in fact need jam nuts.

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, jam nuts are a must to keep it from unthreading or messing up the threads.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would call Currie.
They do make different length "end link rods"
Looks like they make 6.5" / 8.5" / 10.5" / 14" end link rods. All of which can be cut down some. Keep in mind these are not solid thread rods so a person can't buy the longest one and trim it down too short or you will cut off all the threads.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...s.aspx?id=1234
_
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

fml, thanks for the info. i'll call in a little

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-0 View Post
Technically not true.

The angle between the links and the arms should be kept as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Mechanically, this gives you the best (and most constant) performance.

This is assuming a 50/50 up/downtravel ratio.
While I am not a mechanical guy I think I understand where you are going with this and I'd suggest it may be a difference on paper but in reality makes no noticeable difference in the performance of the AR.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Putting all the helpful info I've received together here is my plan

Disconnect my links

Expose enough threads to get the jam nuts on

Raise the arms enough where it'll fit with the new total length of the links

Flex it

If I don't hit anything ill be good

If I do then ill be careful driving while I order the shorter links

Thanks to all, jeepforum and its members to the rescue yet again

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While I am not a mechanical guy I think I understand where you are going with this and I'd suggest it may be a difference on paper but in reality makes no noticeable difference in the performance of the AR.
you are correct.
In practice, a range from 80 degrees through 100 degrees at ride height makes little difference in real world feel.

once you go past this range, it does start to make a difference, and the further you go, the quicker it changes.

think about it this way...
the torsion bar only cares about the torque applied to it. the length of the arms doesn't matter to it.

if your arm is 10 inches long and at a 90 degree angle to the links which push up with 10 lbs of force, the forces are all at right angles and the torque transferred to the torsion bar is
(10lbf) x (10in) = 100 ft-lb

now let's say that the arm angle is 45 degrees (an extreme case, i know)

the arm pushes up with 10 lb of force, but the apparent arm length is only 7.07 inches. This means that the sway bar feels much stiffer than it really is.

by installing the arms at any other angle, you are shortening the effective length of the arm.

there are much more complicated dynamics that come into play with suspension travel, but this is the gist of it, and why you are encouraged to keep the arms and links at a 90 degree angle.

all this said, your installation package takes priority unless you are comfortable cutting and clearancing to make room for your arms and links.

Gordon-0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.