Help with uneven sway bar disconnects and leaning jeep. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with uneven sway bar disconnects and leaning jeep.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
timothywrsham
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help with uneven sway bar disconnects and leaning jeep.

Hey guys, I need some help and advice. My jeep has been leaning to the driver side for some time now. I installed a OME 2.5in lift a few years ago and made sure to install the A and B coils correctly. The front driver side and rear passenger side received A coils while front pass and rear driver got the B coils. This arrangement made the rear passenger side about 1in higher and front passenger .5in higher. This seemed wrong to me since I always heard that the front driver side is supposed to be higher to accommodate for driver weight. (I have a left hand drive version btw).

Yesterday I decided to switch the real coils around after doing some searching on the forums. The rear driver side is now 3/16in lower than the rear passenger. The front Driver side is now .5in higher than the passenger side.

Unfortunately, while trying to readjust my sway bar disconnects I noticed that the passenger side was 1in-1.5in shorted than the driver side. What could cause such a larger difference? I dont think my sway bar is bent but it might be. My body mounts also look old and worn out, not exactly helping matters. They also look tweaked. Does anyone have any tips on where to measure the jeep for the most accurate readings? Would swapping the front A and B coils level out the jeep? Im most concerned about my sway bar links. That much difference cant be good.

Here are some photos to help you guys get the picture. The body mount pictures are on the passenger side and it looks like the body shifted forward over the frame. Would a new daystar body lift with replacement bushings help?

Passenger body mounts

Driver side frame

Passenger side frame

Front Sway bar

timothywrsham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
timothywrsham
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No One?
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see, passenger side sway bar link ends up shorter than the driver's after adjusting on level ground and passenger side body mounts appear shifted... the Jeep has been hit in the past maybe? Possibly a bent or twisted frame?

To answer your second question, no, installing a body lift won't realign the body with the frame mounts.
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
rug_15
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well. That all sounds silly to
Me. One size spring on one side? Different on the other? Makes no sence. Front and rear? Maybe? Anyways. I'd get new springs. Start with that. You can get decently cheap ones online. Might level you out. Your body mounts are from frame to body... And arnt affecting anything from where you are measuring... And they shouldn't affect your away bar either. So. No need to worry about those. Hope this helps!
rug_15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
timothywrsham
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It was involved in head on collision at 40mph in 2007. Stayed at the dealership all summer though getting repaired (other drivers fault so they paid the bill). I still think they did a half *** job fixing it. Old man emu springs are different lengths to handle engine torque. Maybe I received mislabeled springs. Is there anyway to check if the frame is bent easily?
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothywrsham View Post
It was involved in head on collision at 40mph in 2007. Stayed at the dealership all summer though getting repaired (other drivers fault so they paid the bill). I still think they did a half *** job fixing it. Old man emu springs are different lengths to handle engine torque. Maybe I received mislabeled springs. Is there anyway to check if the frame is bent easily?
There is your problems. I wouldn't worry about tub part, but I would have the correct length coil springs on both sides. Engine torque has nothing to do with your springs.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Different size springs for driver weight; engine torque.

Someone is blowing smoke up your ... ahem. I think you've been misinformed and as a result may have installed your lift incorrectly.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
Different size springs for driver weight; engine torque.

Someone is blowing smoke up your ... ahem. I think you've been misinformed and as a result may have installed your lift incorrectly.
???

http://arbusa.wordpress.com/2011/02/...fitting-guide/
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Open mouth, insert foot.

Sounds a bit illogical to me, given the jeep is a passenger vehicle (and passengers aren't typically weightless), but hey there must be more involved there than meets the eye (my eye anyway).

Teach me to chime in on subjects I know too little about.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
Open mouth, insert foot.

Sounds a bit illogical to me, given the jeep is a passenger vehicle (and passengers aren't typically weightless), but hey there must be more involved there than meets the eye (my eye anyway).

Teach me to chime in on subjects I know too little about.
Typical British BS. Wonder why the are the only company in the world to do that? They would be up S creek if someone bought into this and weighed more than they figured. Can you say leaning tower of Pisa.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You do realize since OME is an Australian company their reference to driver and passenger sides are opposite to North American drivers and passenger sides, right?
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
You do realize since OME is an Australian company their reference to driver and passenger sides are opposite to North American drivers and passenger sides, right?
Not really sure about the logic here.. Doesn't matter which side the driver's side of the vehicle is on, as long as the corresponding coil goes along with it.
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Post up pix of the body mounts from the other side. The 3 you put up already all look to leaning backwards which would be consistent with a head on collision. I'm guessing your tub is not square to the frame anymore because of that so IMO, you have bigger problems than what OME spring goes where. You should have pressed the insurance company to total the Jeep if this turns out to be the case.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Typical British BS. Wonder why the are the only company in the world to do that? They would be up S creek if someone bought into this and weighed more than they figured. Can you say leaning tower of Pisa.
British eh? As mentioned OME is an Australian company and makes great stuff (albeit a bit on the expensive side).

I may be mistaken but I believe the difference is made via spring rate but can make a slight difference in unloaded spring height.

For what it's worth Rough County did the same thing years ago so it's not as uncommon as you think.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/...ry_tjcoils.asp
Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
Not really sure about the logic here.. Doesn't matter which side the driver's side of the vehicle is on, as long as the corresponding coil goes along with it.
That's exactly the logic he is talking about although Rough Country's reason for doing this wasn't for compensating driver weight, it was to counter the body roll due to engine torque which they claimed wore springs out prematurely.
Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.