Help Transmission Issue!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Transmission Issue!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
toddwill74
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Help Transmission Issue!!!

Hey guys! I have an issue and pretty much know I can count on yal for great advice. My '97 TJ 4.0 auto started giving me some issues yesterday. I was driving down the road and my transmission started slipping terribly. I pulled over and it would move a couple hundred yards and start slipping again. It would start at about where it was changing into 2nd gear.

Well while sitting on the side of the road I called two local auto parts stores. One was O'Reillys and the other was Carquest. The two that I somewhat trust in the charlotte area. They both gave me the same input not to change the fluid just add a quart of the Lucas No-slip to the tranny. Only change the fluid as a last result.

Well the No-slip didn't work. So, I went back today and changed the fluid and filter on the side of the road. I used ATF +4 and added a bottle of the Lucas No-slip for good measure. So when I was done I cranked my jeep and let it idle in neutral for a while and checked the fluid and shifted thru the gears and all seemed well. So I ventured to drive it home. It made it home just fine. I did notice it was a little different downshifting into 1st gear. Sometimes it acted like it didn't wanna go into 1st. So I figured the only way to test it out was to drive it. I was on my way to work and was probably 20 miles into my drive and it started doing the exact same thing.

So I guess my question now is NOW WHAT??? What do I do to it now? I know we all love our jeeps and I'm sure someone out there has had the same issue...

I love the forum and use it as the main source of advice. Thanks in advance!

toddwill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

First off I'd never use that Lucas crap. Second, since you already changed the filter and fluid it could just be you need a new tranny. But since you only dropped the pan to change the filter that was only 3 quarts of the 12, or is it 9, I don't recall right now, that's in the system. I'd change ALL the fluid which includes what's in the torque converter then go from there. There are several write-up's including what I've posted that tells you how to do that. BTW those auto parts house guy’s know just enough to be dangerous.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hate trannies problems, they either work or you have to take them to be rebuilt , hope the fluid change fixes it.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
toddwill74
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks guys! I have saw postings about adjusting the bands. I didn't know what I should do. Money is tight. Can't really afford the $2000+ for a rebuild so I will try anything.
toddwill74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tranny , tranny problem , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.