Help! Transmission is dicked! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Transmission is dicked!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
4muddin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help! Transmission is dicked!

I drive a 4cyl 3 speed automatic And I just had it stuck got out, and my transmission starts in 3rd from a dead stop and won't shift unless I floor it or shift manually HELP!

4muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you drive through deep water or deep muddy water? It kinda sounds like one or the other got inside your 30RH auto transmission... which has to be flushed out with fresh ATF+3 asap since water dissolves the glue that holds various clutch disks in place.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4muddin View Post
And I just had it stuck got out,
I'm only assuming that is what he is trying to say here but without more grammer, we may never know.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
I'm only assuming that is what he is trying to say here but without more grammer, we may never know.
Or he just got it unstuck from 3rd gear???

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
which has to be flushed out with fresh ATF+3 asap since water dissolves the glue that holds various clutch disks in place.
I thought ATF+3 wasn't available anymore and you have to use backward compatible ATF+4?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes a good auto tranny service with a flush and new fluids will cure it. Other times it's a solenoid (spelling?) problem. I had the solenoid problem with my Dodge truck (was starting out in third), and the auto on my Jeep ZJ was fixed by a service/flush (was starting out in third).

You need to find a shop you trust that knows auto trannys. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep seem to have issues with their auto trannys.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep seem to have issues with their auto trannys.
All transmissions have issues when subjected to abuse...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Sometimes a good auto tranny service with a flush and new fluids will cure it. Other times it's a solenoid (spelling?) problem. I had the solenoid problem with my Dodge truck (was starting out in third), and the auto on my Jeep ZJ was fixed by a service/flush (was starting out in third).

You need to find a shop you trust that knows auto trannys. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep seem to have issues with their auto trannys.
Not as much as Fords. Any transmission that has been neglected will have issues. Fixed it for ya too.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

4muddin, listen to the advice given, especially Jerry B cause he knows his stuff. I mentioned in a pm to you about fluid/filter change but a flush IS THE best as it will get new, fresh, clean fluid throughout the trans. A trusted shop will also be your best bet as the filter MUST be changed at the same time.

Edit:
If you have the opportunity, look into the vent location. If it is on top of the trans look into having it relocated.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Not as much as Fords. Any transmission that has been neglected will have issues. Fixed it for ya too.
Thanks. I fixed it in my post.

It's been over a year since the shop flushed and serviced the auto tranny on my son's 95 ZJ (and they changed the filter too of course) and it's still doing fine. I was afraid the tranny was toast, but the shop specialized in transmissions, and he obviously knew what he was talking about. I was thinking it was going to cost thousands for a new (rebuilt) tranny and all, but it was just a few hundred.

Same with the solenoid that was replaced in my 96 Dodge truck's auto tranny back in 2008 (which was rebuilt in 2003). I think the total bill for that one was about $500.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
4muddin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys I wasn't getting notifications to my phone. Yea when I start it up, put it in drive it starts out in 3rd sometimes And when it dosent it won't shift out of first. It's messed up I have to bring it somewhere but I don't have the money to fix it yet. Thanks a lot for the reply's.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
4muddin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222

Sorry I ha it stuck in a mud hole. Then got pulled out and I tried driving and it was in 3rd it felt like. So I put it in 2nd, then drive and it wouldn't shift into drive. Now when I start it up and put it in drive it starts in 3rd again.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
4muddin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Did you drive through deep water or deep muddy water? It kinda sounds like one or the other got inside your 30RH auto transmission... which has to be flushed out with fresh ATF+3 asap since water dissolves the glue that holds various clutch disks in place.
Yes muddy water sorry for the lack of grammar/ information.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well if you haven't flushed out the ATF by now chances are it's too late and the transmission is toast.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Well if you haven't flushed out the ATF by now chances are it's too late and the transmission is toast.
X2, that's why I said that it had to be done ASAP 3 days ago .

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.