HELP!! Transfer/trans trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!! Transfer/trans trouble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
jbeardyman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

HELP!! Transfer/trans trouble

I have a 2004 X 4.0 with only 82,000 miles, on the way to work(2am) something went wrong. It will move a little in drive, none in reverse, jacked up front and rear in 4wd and 2wd neutral on the tranny, and all wheels move just fine. pulled rear cover off, looks perfect, pulled drain and fill on transfer case, no metal, as well as nothing looks bad inside, like chain. Working guy with kids, looking for some good news. Thanks

jbeardyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

have you checked transmission fluid level at all ?
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
jbeardyman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. Checked last week when I changed the oil then when it happened and is pretty and red with a slight hint of getting warm but not too warm. Level perfect.
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any special circumstances when something went wrong. From where I sit it sounds like transmission.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
jbeardyman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Came off interstate through a couple green lights. Stopped at a light and when I went to go again felt like trying to roll over a large rock.
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put it up in the air again. Put it in 4WD, in this way the front and rear axles are connected through the transfer case. With the transmission in neutral, try turning the rear driveshaft by hand. The front driveshaft should turn as well, and you should not be able to prevent it from turning. This should eliminate the transfer case.
If this turns out, and your transmission fluid is fine you need to do line pressure tests. For this you will need a shop manual and some guages.
It could be as simple as a wiring or solenoid problem, look for loose connections by the transmission. You may be able to pull a code as well.
Unfortunately often a snap ring will let go in the transmission allowing fluid to leak into pan rather then apply the necessary clutch(s). The only way to repair this is to dismantle the transmission,to verify and repair, or of course replace the transmission.
My advice would be to take it to a transmission shop that has a decent reputation and let them have a look at it. Try chatting them up first, often just by talking to them you can separate the wheat from the chaff. I wish I could be of more help.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.