Help tracking down whats throwing cel. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help tracking down whats throwing cel.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help tracking down whats throwing cel.

I am having a hard time trying to find out what is causing the check engine light on my jeep. I changed the transmission (its a manual) put in a new clutch and a new magnaflow cat-back exhaust. About 200 miles after everything was put back together I threw a cel code. So I went to oriellys and it was a single code for the o2 in bank 1. Since my jeep only has 2 o2 sensors I changed both. I used the bosch sensors (I have read the reviews and they seemed 50-50 so I don't know if this would cuase it). The light went off everything was fine now the light will come on then turn off sporadically. This has me very confused since it is now throwing three separate codes. I do have an edge programmer I don't really know where to start with all of this.

While going down the freeway the jeep will want to cut out, it will also pop or backfire while starting and requires a lot of cranking. Then when it does fire it will rough idle for a min or so. Other times it will fire right up with no issues.

20150319_122229.jpg   20150319_122129.jpg   20150319_122119.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your problem is the bosch sensors. Jeep hates them. I had the same problem when I replaced mine with bosch. Switch to NGK and all will be solved. Trust me I went through months of trying to solve this problem.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
Your problem is the bosch sensors. Jeep hates them. I had the same problem when I replaced mine with bosch. Switch to NGK and all will be solved. Trust me I went through months of trying to solve this problem.
Ok Ill have to pick up a couple today, thanks.
Unread 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Np. Post back with results. Also they should take back the O2 sensors since it is still throwing a code. They are technically defective.
Unread 03-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Np. Post back with results. Also they should take back the O2 sensors since it is still throwing a code. They are technically defective.
I try and take them back, Ill update everything once I get them in tonight.
Unread 03-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Took back the 02 sensors, they didn't really want to give me a refund. When I told him that my jeep was throwing out more codes he gave me my money back though. I called advanced auto/carquest who was the only place in town that had ntk sensors. I showed up and they tried to sell me bosch, apparently they are switching from bosch to ntk and the part number is the same. He said that there was a large shipment coming in tomorrow that might have a few of the ngks. They wanted 150 for both sensors, I price checked amazon and found both for 80 to my door. They will be in Tuesday afternoon, Ill update everything once I get them installed.
Ordered part number 23099 and 23122
Unread 03-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
Took back the 02 sensors, they didn't really want to give me a refund. When I told him that my jeep was throwing out more codes he gave me my money back though. I called advanced auto/carquest who was the only place in town that had ntk sensors. I showed up and they tried to sell me bosch, apparently they are switching from bosch to ntk and the part number is the same. He said that there was a large shipment coming in tomorrow that might have a few of the ngks. They wanted 150 for both sensors, I price checked amazon and found both for 80 to my door. They will be in Tuesday afternoon, Ill update everything once I get them installed.
Ordered part number 23099 and 23122
Napa or oriely'so always has them
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #8
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Napa or oriely'so always has them
Napa carried them and was a little cheaper but they were also a few days out. Oriellys said that they didn't have them.
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #9
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
Napa carried them and was a little cheaper but they were also a few days out. Oriellys said that they didn't have them.
Must be a Washington thing haha, or you had idiots like usual at these places. I used to work at advanced and the crap I heard coming out of the sales guy s mouths was unreal. They only want to sell parts.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2205&ppt=C2179
Unread 03-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So no news is good news I assume.
Unread 03-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So no news is good news I assume.
I wanted to wait a while before I updated so I could see exactly how the NGk 02 sensors effected my Jeep. They definitely fixed the issues while driving and starting. The cel came back on and was for a low voltage to the 02 sensors. I got under the jeep and checked the connections and it has stayed off so far. I also changed the bosch plugs out for the stock replacement plugs. I was kinda surprised at the difference in length too.

When starting my jeep I have to wait until the dash lights go off or it has a hard time starting. Keeps cranking and eventually starts, no more rough idle though. This was not an issue before I don't know if it is related or not. I guessed it was a fuel issue but I haven't had time to research it or crawl under my jeep.
20150321_142359.jpg  
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you reset your computer? Might try that.
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you reset your computer? Might try that.
I did reset it after i got the low voltage code. I haven't had to much time to drive the jeep though. Ive been taken my wifes car this week while im putting in new chromo stub shafts.
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #14
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its almost like you have low fuel pressure initially. I don't think this is related to your original problem. Did you gap your plugs before putting them in? Can you hear your fuel pump kicking on? You can pull your fuel line and have someone turn on the ignition to see if you have fuel pressure. Just have a rag or container so you don't have fuel everywhere. Also make sure your spark plug boots are clean on the inside. I like to add dielectric grease to them.
Unread 04-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you gap your plugs before putting them in?
Can you hear your fuel pump kicking on?
Yes, #5 was running rich but this was during the rough idle issues so its hard to say if it still is
and yes.

Well it seems that I may have gotten to the bottom of one problem at least. I had a chance to drive my jeep last weekend cel came on twice so I cleared it each time. It came back up with a voltage code. I bought a multi meter to check voltage and continuity. I started by undoing the loom and checking voltage. Three of the 02 sensor ends had readings of about 9 and one was at 1-2. I believe that between 1-9 was ok from what I read. I thought it might have been in the wiring as it was kinked. I rechecked the fuses and number 16 in the engine bay was blown. I changed it out but have not gotten to reset and drive the jeep yet. I have a feeling that there is a short in the wiring as the cel was coming on then off. It probably overloaded and blew the fuse.
20150403_182446.jpg   20150406_161733.jpg   20150407_172320.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.