HELP TJ wanders all over the road?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP TJ wanders all over the road??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Reply
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
tlsmith22
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
HELP TJ wanders all over the road??

I bought a 97 TJ and don't know alot about it. It has a 4 " trailmaster lift and 33's. I have replaced the steering box and it has new tires. It still wanders on the road quite a bit. It has the factory track bar and it appears worn bad to me. Could this be causing this problem? I am going to replace the track bar with an adjustable pretty soon. Is there anything else I can look at to find the problem? I don't know if it has a drop pitman or not, but it appears factory to me.

tlsmith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
fisher836
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801
You should be ok with or without a drop pitman arm on 4" lift. I think you will find that your track bar is the culprit. Although, I would make sure everything's sured up all around (sawy bar, rear track bar) Is the rear track bar adjustable or does it have a relocation bracket or stock?
__________________
Definition of Rubicon:
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.
fisher836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Kameel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: At home
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmith22
I bought a 97 TJ and don't know alot about it. It has a 4 " trailmaster lift and 33's. I have replaced the steering box and it has new tires. It still wanders on the road quite a bit. It has the factory track bar and it appears worn bad to me. Could this be causing this problem? I am going to replace the track bar with an adjustable pretty soon. Is there anything else I can look at to find the problem? I don't know if it has a drop pitman or not, but it appears factory to me.
Can be lots of stuff.. bad shocks, cheap tire brand, worn out bushings.

Trackbar replacement is a good thing to start with.
__________________
Instant human...just add coffee.
Kameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Muddeprived
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wexford, PA
Posts: 5,146
You mentioned new tires. Check the pressure. Get em down to the 25-30 range since most tire shops never inflate them properly. An overinflated tire jumps all over the place.

I would consider the trackbar 2nd.
__________________
2001 XJ Sport 4.5" RC LA
Custom snorkel
Detours/winch
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
river rat
Forum porn star...I guess
 
river rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher836
You should be ok with or without a drop pitman arm on 4" lift. I think you will find that your track bar is the culprit. Although, I would make sure everything's sured up all around (sawy bar, rear track bar) Is the rear track bar adjustable or does it have a relocation bracket or stock?
This statement couldn't be any further from the truth. If you're riding on only 4 inches of lift and you have a dropped pitman arm with out a track bar relocator bracket, you WILL NOT be ok. You will experience significant bumpsteer.
__________________
97 TJ. Full width D60 w/Detroit, Alloys and 5.89 gears. Full width D44 spooled, 60 outers, Warn lockouts. 6" Rock Krawler Gen II LA. 11 gallon cell behind the rear seat. 37" Maxxis Trepador competitions on 17" Stazworks double internals, blazay, blazay.....
river rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
JPJeeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 972
I just did a lift install and somehow neglected to get the track bar all the way tight. My rig wandered all over the road. Tightened it up, and all was good.

On a side note, if you toe in (Alignment) isn't set properly it will also do the same thing.
__________________
2006 Unlimited Rubicon
1990 Wrangler YJ
1987 Wagoneer FSJ
1975 J20 Jeep Truck
1967 J3000 Jeep Truck
JPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
de6w6it
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Posts: 622

Either drop pitman arm and trackbar bracket, or just adjustable track bar. You have to keep drag link and track bar parralel to not experience bumpsteer.

Is the alignment ok? I think toe in could affect wandering....

To check the trackbar, have someone in the jeep turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the car head on from the front. If the axle/wheels shift relative to the body to the right or left, this could signify the trackbar being the culprit.
I would also check the steering links....
__________________
'66 Mustang/200/C4/ground up resto
'88 4 runner/SAS/22re/W56/duals/31's DD
Build:http://www.yotatech.com/f191/de6w6it...-lemon-190657/
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
tlsmith22
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by de6w6it

Either drop pitman arm and trackbar bracket, or just adjustable track bar. You have to keep drag link and track bar parralel to not experience bumpsteer.

Is the alignment ok? I think toe in could affect wandering....

To check the trackbar, have someone in the jeep turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the car head on from the front. If the axle/wheels shift relative to the body to the right or left, this could signify the trackbar being the culprit.
I would also check the steering links....

I have done this, and the track bar moves up and down where it connects to the body. It seems to move up and down maybe an 1/8 or so. I torqued it to 70 ft lbs and it still does this. Is that a sign it is worn out. I am going to have it aligned as soon as I get a new track bar. It appears stock on the rear track bar to me.
tlsmith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
meengineer2006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 61
My Jeep did the exact same thing as you describe, and the ball joint on the trackbar was shot and all "warbled" out. I replaced the trackbar and the jeep drove like new.
meengineer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII
 
Steelman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 3,029
funny, every Jeep I've ever driven wandered all over the road to some extent!
__________________
-Bob
'98 Black TJ Sport 4.0L/Auto Trans
-(O|||||||O)-
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
_____________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Trucker View Post
I would rather shoot you in the face than play a guessing game....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
xjeepn
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Crandall TX
Posts: 334
I put a 2" re bb lift and put 32" kumo on and it is all over the place. I hate this BB lift. Maybe it is the RE shocks. The cheap ones you know.
xjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
igofshn
Locked @ both ends
 
igofshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lemoore, CA
Posts: 7,775
I would start with the alignment. Easy and cheap. You can do it yourself in 5 minutes. Look in the FAQ (stickie at the top of the section).
__________________
2007, 4 door, powered by a minivan engine, locked and riding on 35's.


[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
dcafaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat
This statement couldn't be any further from the truth. If you're riding on only 4 inches of lift and you have a dropped pitman arm with out a track bar relocator bracket, you WILL NOT be ok. You will experience significant bumpsteer.
I agree, you need the drop pitman arm to keep the geometry of each bar true to the other. At four inches you need to make sure you use all the extensions for them. Also if you went up to 33" tires your factory steering stabilizer is useless. I had to upgrade mine even at 32".
dcafaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.