Help on a TJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help on a TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
thedean06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Help on a TJ build

I've got a 06 TJ X Manual, and i am looking to do some stuff to it but I'm fairly new at this so i thought i would open it up to some experienced insight.

Im looking at a 4 inch lift for it. Im wondering if there is anything that i need to worry about breaking down early, or things that i would need to replace right out of the gate to make it run right? I think im going with the rough country N2.0 lift. Im not planning on doing any hard wheeling, and Im pretty poor, so Im going for a cheaper kit.

I already have 31 inch tires on it so i dont think im going to bump up the tire size. (for right now at least)

the other thing i was wondering about is gearing.

Right now I think the X model has 3.07's in it (the tag on the diff is a little beat up). and with the tires i have on, any hill in 6th gear is dragging me down fast. so I was wondering what gearing i would have to jump to, to get 6th gear working right again. I think that carrier cut off is 3.55's. and i'd like to keep the carrier to save some money. but if i need a new carrier, i guess i need a new carrier. i suppose if i do get bigger tires im gonna need higher gears for those too.

Any help is much appreciated!

thedean06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

4" lift requires a lot of extras so if you're pretty poor, this isn't the way to go. Several have done the Zone 3 3/4 combo lift... 2.5 suspension with the 1.25 body lift and are very happy. Do a motor mount lift and some longer front brake lines then possibly a small drop of the transfer case skid ( can be done with washers but mixed reviews of that ) and you're in business.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , gears , lift , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.