HELP! Stripped torx bolts on window hinge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! Stripped torx bolts on window hinge

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

torx metric vs SAE(american)

not that it matters for you at this point,but when i got my TJ new in 2003, first thing i did, weekend at a time ,was replace most of my screws and bolts w/ stainless steel sae hex heads and put never seize on each one as i did it. it has made life sooooo easy as i've done mods over the years. forgot to metiom,i also had to re-tap everything SAE also.possibly some good advice for others.

yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
charlescho

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantdog
How much did you have to pay the shop to do it? I went to one today and the guy said something like $75!

This is so f*cked! I have two left to get out, the one on the front side of the hinges on each side.

I have successfully broken off two bits, one in each, so now i have a hard piece of steel stuck in my drilled out bolts, neither of which wants to move.

I bought the grabit thing mentioned above. Didnt work. I drilled it in and my power drill torqued out. So i took off the drill and tried turning the grabit bit with a socket wrench. IT BROKE OFF THE HEAD OF THE GRABIT BIT.

Talk about frustration. I am at a loss at what to do. These bolts show no sign of wanting to turn at all.

Further more, one of the bolts that was stuck, I drilled into and it broke off the head, but it also broke off whatever the two torx bolts screw into on the inside of the hinge. Whatever that is is just rattling around in there now.

WTF JEEP!

brigng it here and its free

well given you supply the nuts
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Using heat ( torch) works good, but'll probably screw up your paint. But you'll be covering that with your cage mount anyway.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Another way to avoid the stripped torx is to use a hammer impact. It is a devise that the torx bits goes on, or a socket and you hit it with a hammer. It has a twisted shaft and transfers the downward force into twisting toque so the torx bit stays aligned and is forced down as it turns.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Jeff65SS
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozoWise
Another way to avoid the stripped torx is to use a hammer impact. It is a devise that the torx bits goes on, or a socket and you hit it with a hammer. It has a twisted shaft and transfers the downward force into twisting toque so the torx bit stays aligned and is forced down as it turns.
Do you have a link to one of these tools? It sounds very interesting.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #21
samuelshoun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS
Do you have a link to one of these tools? It sounds very interesting.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530

there are better ones.

i suggest holding these with a set of channel locks or vise grips if you're really pounding on em.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #22
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the impact hammer tool.trick is you gotta get it on the first whack to avoid stripping.
yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #23
Jeff65SS
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelshoun
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530

there are better ones.

i suggest holding these with a set of channel locks or vise grips if you're really pounding on em.
Thanks! I'm gonna get one. Now to find a "quality" one.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #24
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

im sorry i think your going to have to get a new jeep...
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #25
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

I thought it was just me! Had a couple hours to burn and thought "Hey, I'll put the new mirrors on the windshield frames so I can take off the doors during the summer!

Well, one of the torx bolts took an hour to get off! The nut inside the windshiled post broke free after getting half way out! I had grind the head off and pop it thru.

What a major pain in the butt! I never could get the others out. It frustrated me so bad I had to buy another Jeep!
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #26
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

haha sometimes thats just what it has to come down to.
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #27
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Well I am breaking down and taking it to the shop. What a bunch of crap. I have mangled the bolts so bad that there is not much to work with anymore. This has to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever come across in all my years of amature automotive work...
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #28
Deere9670
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Will welding around my paint mess it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred99TJ View Post
Weld a nut onto the head works everytime.

I drilled mine out and tapped them larger and simply replaced them with the larger hex bolts
Im in the same situation. I want to put my mirror movers on and take the doors off. but the stupid torx bolts are stuck in there and almost stripped! Will welding a nut on there mess up the paint around it? Is welding the way to go?
Deere9670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #29
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere9670 View Post
Im in the same situation. I want to put my mirror movers on and take the doors off. but the stupid torx bolts are stuck in there and almost stripped! Will welding a nut on there mess up the paint around it? Is welding the way to go?
Drill some of the bolt out using a drill bit to weaken the bolt (probably a 3/16 on that size), then use a dremel to cut a slot in the head of it, and you can use a flat head to back it out. I've done this a bunch. In fact, I did this just the other day on two of the tail gate bolts.
Unread 05-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #30
Deere9670
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
Drill some of the bolt out using a drill bit to weaken the bolt (probably a 3/16 on that size), then use a dremel to cut a slot in the head of it, and you can use a flat head to back it out. I've done this a bunch. In fact, I did this just the other day on two of the tail gate bolts.
I dont have any experience with that method, nor do I own a dremal. I would like to try the welding the nut on method, but am worried about messing up the paint on the jeep. I know that during the summer with the mirror mover brackets in place it, will cover up any marks left on from welding aroud the area, but I am concerend about wither when the mirrors are back in there original place. Does anyone know if the weld will damage the paint around the bolts?
Deere9670 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.