HELP! Stripped torx bolts on window hinge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! Stripped torx bolts on window hinge

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
distantdog
2004 WJ 

HELP! Stripped torx bolts on window hinge

I am trying to install my new Kargomaster congo cage...

You have to mount the front part to the upper window hinge which requires you to remove the torx bolts.

I got a few of them to snap loose, but about half have stripped completely! Its amazing, even without much pressure they were like frickin butter. Crap.

Anyway, now I have drilled into one in order to use a screw extractor, which has not worked so far. I have only successfully drilled a hole in the screw and then stripped it out with the extractor bit.

Anyone else ever have trouble with these bolts, and if so, how did you get them out?!

distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Mike
oooh you almost had it

I have, and I used Craftsmans screw extractor. I ended up drilling them out carefully and using their product. Your pain is felt.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Flawed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing. All I did was drill the bolts out with a 1/4 in drill bit a little deeper than the torx bit was. Then I took a hammer and pounded in one of those 1/4in alan type screw driver attachments in to the hole. Put a 1/4in socket on it and twisted it out. This has worked for me 3-4 times on mine and my buddies rigs. Every time I have ever tried to remove one of those torx bolts they have striped.
Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

When my diff bolts supplied by Warn got stripped I tried a bolt extractor unsucessfully. So, I bought a small circle shaped drill bits from Harbor Freight and cut a vertical line in the middle of the head. Then I used large chisel or flat head to hammer turn the bolt loose. Good luck.

Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Well I feel a little better now... at least I got a few of them out. I'm gonna try the 1/4 inch allen thing method...

I will let you know how it turns out.

I think it would be a laugh to hear all the F'd up ways that people have dealt with this problem.
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Fred99TJ

Weld a nut onto the head works everytime.

I drilled mine out and tapped them larger and simply replaced them with the larger hex bolts
Fred99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I also used the circular disk cut and flathead method with success.
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

stripped 3/4 of mine as well. I let out many expletives, then spit on it and left. Eventually I came back, pb blastered it, drilled it and extracted using ez out.
torx = hatehatehatehatehate
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

I ordered this thing. seems pretty practical.
I'll let you all know if it works as advertised.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have had to resort to the "weld a nut on method" as well. The only problem is I can't weld, so I had to take it to a shop to get it done. Before I did, I tried everything else noted above and none of them worked.
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce p
I have had to resort to the "weld a nut on method" as well. The only problem is I can't weld, so I had to take it to a shop to get it done. Before I did, I tried everything else noted above and none of them worked.
How much did you have to pay the shop to do it? I went to one today and the guy said something like $75!

This is so f*cked! I have two left to get out, the one on the front side of the hinges on each side.

I have successfully broken off two bits, one in each, so now i have a hard piece of steel stuck in my drilled out bolts, neither of which wants to move.

I bought the grabit thing mentioned above. Didnt work. I drilled it in and my power drill torqued out. So i took off the drill and tried turning the grabit bit with a socket wrench. IT BROKE OFF THE HEAD OF THE GRABIT BIT.

Talk about frustration. I am at a loss at what to do. These bolts show no sign of wanting to turn at all.

Further more, one of the bolts that was stuck, I drilled into and it broke off the head, but it also broke off whatever the two torx bolts screw into on the inside of the hinge. Whatever that is is just rattling around in there now.

WTF JEEP!
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
mudcreeker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have took a torx bit and put it in the screw then hammered on the bit a little bit , tried to tighten first then loosened up alittle ,make sure that the screw hole where the bit goes in is cleaned out good , if it ever moves a little bit just keep working it back and forth, (tighten and loosen) I haven't stripped one out yet, I have been replacing all of mine with ss allen head and a little bit of swak on the threads , GOOD LUCK and have a lot of patience with these
mudcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i notched mine with a small wheel on my dremel

a
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
distantdog
2004 WJ 

I guess I will try that method. This is ridiculous.
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Chris @ GATR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Impatience is the only thing that strips a Torx on a Jeep. Slow down, use PBB on EVERY ONE, let it soak a bit, put enough clockwise torque on it to unseaat the Torx, then loosen. Works like a charm every time and I have had countless Torx on/off my Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.