Help with Steering Wheel "Shimmy" at 35mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Steering Wheel "Shimmy" at 35mph

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
warner41

Help with Steering Wheel "Shimmy" at 35mph

I just bolted on my new wheels and tires after a bunch of mods over the last few days. For some reason my steering wheel has a shimmy between 32 mph and 38 mph whether I'm speeding up or slowing down. As soon as I hit either end of that range it will shimmy and then quickly stop when I am out of that range. Has anyone had a similar experience? I will list all of the work I've done over the last 5 days culminating with the install of the wheels and tires today which is when it showed up. I am adding a skyjacker steering stabilizer and rear extended sway bar links tomorrow, I don't know it the stabilizer will have any effect.

2006 X, 6 speed
Rancho 2.5" coils
Skyjacker Hydro 7000's
OME Track bar relocation bracket
OME Bump stop extensions
JKS 1.25" BL & BMML
BFG 33x12.50 Mud Terrains on M/T Classis II's

Thanks

warner41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Without knowing what else you worked on, I'd have to go with a bad balance on the new tires before anything else. Rotate the tires and see if the symptoms change.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Warner41,

I had the same problem after a 3 inch suspension intstall and lived with it for a week. I only had very minor vibes in roughly the same mph range. Well, tonight I decided to install the TC drop and bam, the slight shimmy in the wheel went away. I also had death wobble for the past week and took the spare off the back and put it on the front passenger side, tightened my trac bar and had an alignment. No more DW that GOD!

1). Get an alignment if you didn't
2). Make sure your wheels are 0 - 0 balanced
3). Tighten your track bar to spec and make sure the bushings on it are not worn.
I see you do have a MML. Are you experiencing vibes or just a shimmy?
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.