help. Snapped transmission mount to skid plate bolt! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help. Snapped transmission mount to skid plate bolt!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
ClemsonJeepGC

help. Snapped transmission mount to skid plate bolt!

I was only at about 35 foot pounds when it snapped! How do I fix it? Is the jeep driveable with just 3 tight bolts instead of the four?

I was trying to fix another problem and now I have 2 problems. The original problem was that there is a random clicking noise that isnt consistent and it sounds like it is coming from above the tcase skid plate somewhere. I was thinking maybe those 4 bolts needed loosened and then retightened cuz maybe something was binding. So, I loosened them and went up the driveway and back and then tightened them back. Got out the torque wrench and was going for 45 foot pounds and it snapped at 35 or so.

ClemsonJeepGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
azcoyote

You need to use a bolt extractor to remove it. Essentially, you drill a small hole down the middle of the snapped bolt and then use a special extractor bit to screw the bolt out. Make sure to use PB Blaster or something like that to help with the bolt. Here is a link to an example.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/extractr.html

Ask at the <insert your favorite store> (Pep Boys lends) about what they have to lend but you may have to buy one...

Cheers,
Unread 04-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
NetJunkie

Sears sells bolt extractors. Like the above said, drill a small hole in the center of the bolt then use an extractor.
Unread 04-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
ClemsonJeepGC

Im not sure that will work. The end of the bolt snapped off with the nut. I dont know how to get to the head of the bolt and dont know if there is a head? Is the bolt one piece and I have to replace the whole mount?
Im not talking about the bolts that hold the skid plate on, but the nuts to the bolts that mount the transmission to the skid plate (the ones you have to loosen before you lower the tcase)
Unread 04-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
azcoyote

Well, I was going to say that the process should work regardless... As long as you have a steady hand and take your time during the drilling process. You don't want to harm any threads on the drilling...

However, you have me a little confused now. Can you post up a pic? Extractors are for when you shear off the head and the threads are left in the hole. Is that not how yours is?

If the remaining bolt section is non-threaded, you can use a punch and hammer to tap it out (assuming you can see both sides of the hole). If it is threaded, the afore mentioned method is what you will have to do.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
ClemsonJeepGC

the bottom of the bolt snapped off when i was tightening the nut. The head (if it has a head) is still in the mount. I will have to take pictures. Ill have them in 30 min.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
azcoyote

Just so we are all on the same page...
bolt.gif

Unread 04-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
kingvm
2005 WK 

Those are studs molded into the transmission mount.

You should be ok with 3 for a while, many jeeps run with the complete mount broken for a long time before finding it.

You will probably have to replace the tranmission mount.

Try rockauto.com for a good price on one.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
azcoyote

OK. Reread your post and I think I am following you now... Your were removing a nut when the stud that the nut was on broke. Is that correct?
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
azcoyote

Kingvm - Do you know if those press our or are the screw in?
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
ClemsonJeepGC

http://community.webshots.com/album/548086273USCrDv
pics
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
ClemsonJeepGC

Yea, the stud end, not the head of the bolt. I tried to push it out with a screw driver and it didnt budge. I tried to stick my head up there to see where it goes and I couldnt see. All I could see is what you can now see in the pics.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
ClemsonJeepGC

h i just saw KingVMs post about the mount....thanks for the help guys. I guess I know what I have to do now. Do yall think that is what was causing my clicking problem? I guess I just have to take the jeep for a spin to find out.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
ClemsonJeepGC

25 bucks. I guess it could have been worse. How hard will that be to swap out kingvm? Is there a write up?
Unread 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
kingvm
2005 WK 

It took me about 1/2 hour to change mine. I don't know about a writeup, but here are the basic steps.

Remove the other 3 nuts.

Place a jack under the tailshaft or housing of the trans just behind the skid plate to hold it up.

Remove the skid plate and drop it down. (It helps to have a floor jack under it to lower but it can be done by hand.)

Once the skid plate is out of the way you can see how to remove the old mount. (I think there are 4 bolts holding it to the transmission.)

After the new mount is bolted to the transmission, replace the skid plate making sure the studs come thru the holes in the skid.

They say to drive it forward and back a few feet to let the studs find the proper place in the slots before tightening them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.