Help...shifts into 2,4,reverse but not 1,3,5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help...shifts into 2,4,reverse but not 1,3,5

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
atc2012
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Help...shifts into 2,4,reverse but not 1,3,5

Hey everyone, hoping you can help me out. I am out of ideas.

I removed the transmission to seal up a leak at the intermediate plate.
I did not remove any of the inner workings on the transmission, just separated the cases and resealed it.

my question.
Is it possible to install the shift lever shaft wrong ?, (the shaft in the transmission that holds the shift lever arm in place), and would this cause the transmission not to shift into 1,3 or 5.

is it possible to install the detent ball and spring wrong, (the only one that gets removed when taking the case apart.

Any help or ideas would be great...just did a marathon jeep remove and re-install on the transmission, I really don't want to take all out again.

Thanks guys.

atc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
miatanut5
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes, having the shift shaft in backwards will cause it to have no 1st, 3rd, or 5th. I did this when I put my trans back together even though i knew which way it had to go. I didn't take the trans back out, just the transfer case and shifter; it was on a lift so it was a little easier. Good luck.
miatanut5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
atc2012
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Het miatanut5, thank you for the reply. Thought I post an update, and quick solution.
I did indeed install the shift shaft backwards, however after staring at it for a while (like we all do!!) I figured I would try something and I took off the retaining screw on the shaft, and low and behold it allowed the shift arm to move on the shaft it self, allowing me to temporarily get the jeep on the road. I dont intend on leaving like this, but for the time beign or at least on till next weekend it seems to work fine, allowing me to go thru all the gears. Here hoping that the shaft doesnt somehow find its way out, and drop into the case.

also hapily reporting that after my marathon run on the transmission, it no longer leaks!
atc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
miatanut5
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, that's the first thing i did when it wouldn't shift; took that bolt out and everything was fine so I knew what the problem was. I left the bolt out for a while until i got it back on the lift; though it was only for a day or two.
miatanut5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.