HELP!!! Shift Tower Trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!! Shift Tower Trouble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
topfuel83
1999 TJ Wrangler 

HELP!!! Shift Tower Trouble

I just pulled the shift tower off my 99 TJ (AX-15 tranny). To my surprise I found that not only water, but also mud had found its way into the shift tower cavity. On closer inpsection i found that in the shift tower the shifter itself ends in a ball that pivots on a type of bushing. This bushing that the shifter ball pivots on was broken into a bunch of tiny peices, thus the reason for all the mud and water inside the shift tower assembly. I am not talking about the small ball with the plastic cap on it that sits inside the cavity, but the larger ball that is inside the shift tower. On top of the ball is the shifter dust boot. Has anyone had this problem????? I can't find this bushing anywhere. I'm worried I might have to pay an outageous amount to get a whole new shift tower from a Jeep dealer. PLEASE HELP.

topfuel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
tjmaximus
NeverEndingWorkInProgress

1998 TJ Wrangler 

link for ax 15 parts

Hello, try this link - may not be any cheaper than dealer if shipping is high.
http://www.discountjeepparts.com/cat...0_508_502_2025

I have a shift tower I would consider selling - it's out of my '98 tj with only 40k on it, but as far as that pivot bushing thing goes, that's in the top of the transmission, isn't it? Also have a Hurst Billet Plus Short Throw Shifter for sale which has its own shift tower built-in - just in case you're interested. Hope this helps.
tjmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
topfuel83
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I had already been to that website. They don't list the pivot bushing I need. I found a way to temporarily fix the problem till I can fix it right. I used a small peice of plastic to repalce the bushing for now. Probably will shift a little stiffer, but at least I won't have metel on metal rubbing, and I can drive my Jeep. How much would you be willing to sell either the stock shift tower for or the Hurst short throw? Does the Hurst short throw have a transmision breather built into it like the stock tower does?? Thanks
topfuel83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.