Help - Seat Belt Retractors Stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help - Seat Belt Retractors Stuck

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
u4ea

Help - Seat Belt Retractors Stuck

I cant looseen the seat belt retractor any idea how to loosen it?

Its stuck in the locked position. I cant pull any belt ut out of the retractor...

'03 Sahara - Sienna Pearl Coat - 5 spd
'04 VW Touareg
u4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea
I cant looseen the seat belt retractor any idea how to loosen it?

Its stuck in the locked position. I cant pull any belt ut out of the retractor...

Pop the cover off of it and see what's binding it up.
Unread 04-09-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
u4ea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUGGLER
Pop the cover off of it and see what's binding it up.

Heres what happend...

Today I was scuffing the interior of my Jeeps tub, as I am Herculining it tomorrow. I took the seat belts completely off the Jeep, and the two rear belts and the driverside belt retracted almost completely and they all now seem to be locked. I really hope I can fix them as I dont want to replace them $$$.

Anyone have any ideas how to release the locks on the belts?
'04 VW Touareg
Unread 04-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
garbo1954
1990 WJ 

Went through the same situation on 90YJ ended up buying new mastercraft seat belts. Tried scuffing off the liner,using washers as spacers, took retractor apart , saw how it worked and still couldn't get the things to work. Good luck.
1990 YJ-258-5sp-3.5BDS-33x12x12.50 BFGMT's-AR136's-AA SYE-CV/DS-WARNxd9000i-in cab control-OlympicBumps-& stinger-Throttle control-Weber551--PosiLock--Aussie locker front& Detroit in rear 4.88 gears, super 35 axles, Bushwacker flares, Bestop seats, mastercraft seatbelts,Tuffy console, Tractor supply tool box -
2003 Rubicon-2"Skyjacker-33x12.50x15 Super Swampers-MT Classic II-Jeeperman bumpers-WarnXD9000i-Brute Force Cold air-
garbo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #5
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For future reference, if you want to reuse the retractors, pull the belt all the way out and either knot it so it won't retract, or fold the belt and put a cable tie in place so it won't retract. Then remove the whole assembly. I have never heard of anybody succeeding in recovering a fully retracted belt - you have to have some slack to release the ratchet mechanism. If you were to disassemble them, you could not trust the retractor mechanism in an emergency.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
Rickity Roo

Hey there, I just did the same thing when i Herculined my Jeep. I got really pissed off at them because they wouldnt work. Well I eventually found out that the seat belts wont come out if you just try to pull them out with it in your hands. It will only work if you bolt the retractor in place. Once you bolt it in i should pull right out like normal. I fought with it for about 20 minutes before I tried bolting it on. It was very frustrating.

Hope this helps
99 Jeep TJ SE with 2" RE BB an DT3000 shocks, 32" x 11.5 x 15 BFG MT/R on 15 x 8 Rockcrawler rims. Windshield light brackets with Hella 500 driving lights, tow hooks front and rear, custom made rocker guards, Kilby steering box skid plate, 1" BL, Herculined Tub, Warn XD9000i winch, Tomken Winch palte, Optima Yellow Top, Cobra CB, 4' Fiberglass Antenna, Tuffy Lock Box behind seat. Coming Soon: , OBA system, Tuffy Sercutiy Console.

The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #37
Rickity Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
u4ea

We fixed all three of them we had to take them apart.
'04 VW Touareg
Unread 04-10-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC, I think the seat belts only let go when they are level.
MR.CLIFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
IIRC, I think the seat belts only let go when they are level.
I know this is old, but I was searching for any info I could find on belts. I read Mean Max's thread, but my system was a little different than his. Funny thing is he says right in that thread, you have to pull the belts straight out...which I was, only I had the belt mechanism laying down, so it was totally locked. I tore the thing apart to see what the heck was wrong, but nothing was broken?? After reading this post, I held the thing straight up and down and it worked perfect, lol. Now I just need to find replacement attachment bolts, the PO must have had the old mounts re-welded and bought bolts that are way too long, so the whole unit is not tightened down and won't work. So, if you have your belts off and they are locked, hold the thing straight up and down and try it!
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Since my last post in 2004 I've learned quite a bit more. I've found the easiest way to fix the problem is to install the seat belt back into it's correct location and pull up towards the top attachment point.
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
theeggo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hi guys. I felt in the same trap.
I need someone to break it down to me in a more simpler way how to fix this retracted belt.
Here is a picture of it.
Can someone explain how to bolt the retractor in place?
theeggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeggo View Post
Hi guys. I felt in the same trap.
I need someone to break it down to me in a more simpler way how to fix this retracted belt.
Here is a picture of it.
Can someone explain how to bolt the retractor in place?
Expose the bolt heads by moving the plastic cover over them and bolt the assembly back in place where it belongs in the Jeep. The part that the belt is rolled back into when you unbuckle it is called the "retractor" as in it retracts the belt when it's not in use.
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
kooljp
2005 KJ Liberty 

Time to upgrade to some 5 point harnesses
kooljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooljp View Post
Time to upgrade to some 5 point harnesses
I used to have to wear those in an aircraft cockpit and they are the last thing I would install in a Jeep I wasn't racing or in some form of serious competition with. Not only are they extremely uncomfortable, they are so restrictive when worn properly that you can't lean out to see your line when you're offroad. I installed a 3" aircraft style lap belt into my TJ for those times the factory OE system locks up due to the steepness of the terrain but that's it.

U4ea, our TJ's seatbelt retractors will lock anytime they are not perfectly vertical. They are not inertial-reel retractors, they have a simple mechanism that locks when a ball rolls out of a cup which happens if the seat belt mechanism is not held vertical.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
U4ea, our TJ's seatbelt retractors will lock anytime they are not perfectly vertical. They are not inertial-reel retractors, they have a simple mechanism that locks when a ball rolls out of a cup which happens if the seat belt mechanism is not held vertical.
I sure hope he figured it out. I'd hate to wait since 2004 to find out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.