Help - Removing rear oil pan bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help - Removing rear oil pan bolts

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
bikerack

Help - Removing rear oil pan bolts

I have an 04 Unlimited 4.0 w/auto. I have an oil leak from the rear main seal and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get a socket on the rear oil pan bolts on either side of the RMS. In the picture attached you can see the oil pan on the left, transmission on the right and one of the bolts in question in the center with some stupid cover just below it which blocks one side of the bolt keeping me from getting a socket on it. Even if I could get the socket on it, I don't think I could turn it. I tried using an extension and hammer to bang it on but there's just not enough clearance. I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the RMS replacement write ups so I figure I'm just missing something simple here, or Chrysler just did it to screw with people who bought an 04 LJ. Thanks in advance for any help.

bikerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I can't remember if taking the inspection cover/starter plate off helped or not. I did it to clean the oil put of the bellhousing. It took me 2 rm seals to get it right. I do know you are going to have to get your open end/combo wrench in there. I just went and looked at mine(cause i remembered my mech saying he modded it. He ground out the part that's in the way with a dremmel, and put some door edge trim on. He did it when he put the new motor in. But in your situation a few beers and a open end wrench should get it. I think my mechanic actually trimmed the thing in half, because looking up i can see my actual seal. If you think it will help, pm me your number or email and ill go take some pics for you
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
AZDrifter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine looks exactly the same (04 TJ Auto). I just hammered/wedged the socket w/extension up in there when I did mine. Once you get the socket on there it will turn. I think that cover piece is rubber or plastic and will flex a little, probably pretty hard and brittle by now though.
AZDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
cbush1885

if i remember doing mine correctly - take that inspection cover plate off
cbush1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
bikerack

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll try pulling the inspection cover off and seeing if that lets me flex that rubber thingy out of the way enough to get to the bolt.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll try pulling the inspection cover off and seeing if that lets me flex that rubber thingy out of the way enough to get to the bolt.
Just push the socket in there. No need to remove anything. The rubber will squish out of the way.
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That piece is some type of rubber IIRC from doing mine. I didn't have any trouble pushing it with a socket to get to the bolt head.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Extension and socket is all I used. Didn't even need a hammer, but I had the inspection plate off don't know if that helped though.
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
bikerack

Got it figured out and wanted to follow up. As biffgnar, brimstone and 2003RubiBlue suggested I just needed to put my purse down and get after it. One side need a little prying with a long screw driver make some clearance, but just mashing the socket on there and turning until it popped on did the trick. Thanks everyone.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.