HELP: Rear Vibes after SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP: Rear Vibes after SYE

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
tjsmith63
1998 TJ Wrangler 

HELP: Rear Vibes after SYE

I Recently installed a 2" BDS lift, rebuilt transmission & transfer case, new clutch, and now a SYE and CV Drive Shaft from Tom Woods.

I installed the new SYE and CV because I was gettng the terrible rear vibes in second gear after installing the lift.

Now the new Tom Wood's Super Duty Tail Shaft Conversion kit is installed and the pinion is lined up one degree below the DS angle and I am still getting slight vibes at 70mph and over. I called Tom Woods and their people are extremely helpful and take time to go over everything in detail. They think it is probably a faulty CV ball or out of ballance DS so I am going to send it back to them.

It appears that the vibes have damaged the pinion seal as well as I can see diff fluid coming from the pinion.

I need advice on what all I should do to the rear pinion while I send my DS back to Tom Woods. I am running the Dana 35 it has 120k miles on it, and I get the howl when I take my foot off the gas at high speeds.

Any advice will help. Bearings, Seals, which bearings are best, what am I missing, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by tjsmith63; 02-11-2012 at 09:06 AM..
tjsmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since you plan to go up to a 33" tire (your profile) and the fact you lifted the Jeep I assume you intend to wheel it. I would not put any money into the excising Dana 35. Think about stepping up to an Ford 8.8 or a Dana 44.
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think that would fix a death wooble, but a great mod
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
TJ-chopper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

SYE has nothing to do with D/W, you have a problem up front, CASTER, TRACK BAR, TOE IN, TRE's, BALL JOINTS, check everything UP FRONT FOR D/W.
1997 TJ 4.0, Automatic with a 4" Zone lift and BDS adjustable control arms, AA transfercase shifter relocator bracket, Real Flat fender, custom front bumper with Stinger and 8000 lb winch. custom rear bumper with swingout tire carrier, Viking soft top, 4.10 gears, SYE and Tatton DS , Goodyear Dura Trac 33x12.50-15 and still working on it.
TJ-chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
tjsmith63
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I muse be using D/W to describe the wrong thing. I had terrible rear drive line vibes that would shake the entire rear end. That is now gone with SYE just getting small vibes at about 70MPH.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
jon1371usmc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try it at 0* and if that doesn't cure it then check thé vibes at 2-3* and see if that corrected the problem.
jon1371usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
stottman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The general consensus on a sye kit is put the pinion angle 2* below the tc output shaft, I didn't see in ur profile if u have adj. uca but i'm assuming u do if u set it at 1* below.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
tjsmith63
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I set it at 1* below using cam bolts, as I expected...they did not hold the axel in place. I am going to purchase upper adjustable control arms to set it that way. Any suggestions on which ones to get? I am looking at the BDS adjustable with flix joints to keep the contril arms the same manufacturer as the lift. Does anyone have complaints about these control arms? I am also looking at the JKS control arms?

What are everyone's thoughts on rear upper control arms?
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmith63 View Post
I set it at 1* below using cam bolts, as I expected...they did not hold the axel in place. I am going to purchase upper adjustable control arms to set it that way. Any suggestions on which ones to get? I am looking at the BDS adjustable with flix joints to keep the contril arms the same manufacturer as the lift. Does anyone have complaints about these control arms? I am also looking at the JKS control arms?

What are everyone's thoughts on rear upper control arms?
Yep, cam bolts won't do the job. Take a look at Savvy Offroad for control arms.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
stottman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it pretty much required to at least use adj. uca's. I haven' heard anythin bad about BDS but I hear alot of good about JKS and savvy.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
tjsmith63
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Purchased the Rubicon Express UCAs. Should be in Tuesday. Thanks for thelp.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmith63 View Post
Purchased the Rubicon Express UCAs. Should be in Tuesday. Thanks for thelp.
I used the Rubicon Express UCAs when I did my SYE a few years ago, no problems with them at all.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive shaft , pinion , sye , Tom Woods , vibrations

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.