Help with Rear Drum brakes ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Rear Drum brakes ASAP

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Shane0730
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Help with Rear Drum brakes ASAP

I am in some desperate need for some expert advice about my rear brakes. Here's the quick story and problem.

Doing a routine brake change. Changed the front (disc) brake pads no problem. Went to change the rear drum shoes and apparently they hadn't been changed since factory. They had a very weird slit down the middle where there was no pad and just the 2 outsides had pad, so my drums obviously had an awesome ring of rust. Took them to O'Reillys to put on a lathe and smooth them out. The guy said that the diameter is now approx 9" which is about the max I can go before changing the drums. They came out perfectly smooth. Put together the assembly with new shoes and made the proper adjustments before put the rear end back down and drove around for a bit. I did the forward and reverse to get the shoes adjusted properly and I cannot figure out why I have the constant scraping noise of the drums rubbing against the shoes. My e-brake goes all the way up and still doesn't apply pressure to the brakes, so it's useless right now.

I took the wheels and drums off the make sure they're installed properly and they look like they are. When I took the drum off from driving around a bit thinking the brake would wear it, I have this circle groove in the drum that looks like the adjuster lever has been grinding on. I'm clueless right now on what to do and am getting ready to take it to a repair shop if I can't get any help on here. I am attaching pictures of both sides and both drums so someone can tell me if they spot something wrong. Please help, this is my DD and don't want to foot a repair shop bill if I can avoid it. Thanks,

left1image.jpeg   left2image.jpeg   left3.jpeg   right1image.jpeg   right2image.jpeg  

right3image.jpeg  
Shane0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The adjuster cable was installed incorrectly.................Get some diagrams off google..............Watch some you tube videos......................Good Luck
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The cable has way too much slack.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's also possible they gave you the wrong cable. measure it against the old one unless this is the old one.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
SunDown

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just changed my drums and had the same thing happen on one side. For me, it was the adjuster lever grinding on the drum. I had to play with the springs or the cable to make sure it wasn't sitting too low. I don't remember what finally fixed it. It doesn't take much of a change to affect the way these things operate.

This was my first drum brake job. Maybe somebody with more experience has an exact answer for you. Good luck!
SunDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
zpa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like the adjuster doesnít have enough tension on it and it is hanging down rubbing on the drum. Iím no expert but I think the adjustment lever should be engaging the adjustment screw assembly teeth. It looks like either the spring is worn out or the adjuster cable is to long. If you look at post #28 of this thread you can see what I mean. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...78/index2.html
zpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...n/DSC08815.jpg

Here ya go

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You Tube Video of this problem
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
JLSargent
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you installed the cable correctly to me?? I just did this job on my jeep. Your cable simply looks too long. Did the cable have tension on it before you took it off? If so, something has changed there.
JLSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's easy to make a mistake installing the semi-circular cable guide. It has to be in the hole and flat against the new brake or the cable is too slack. I have made this mistake myself.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Shane0730
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys, I did a look over on both sides and the left side didn't have the ebrake lever attached to the shoe, so that's one fix. And both self adjustment cables were factory and indeed are too long. Local parts store has 2 in stock so I'm gonna pick those up and hope it's a good fix. I just hope the groove the adjustment lever put in the drum doesn't require new drums. More info to come!
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photontraveler View Post
It's easy to make a mistake installing the semi-circular cable guide. It has to be in the hole and flat against the new brake or the cable is too slack. I have made this mistake myself.
This has always been the problem with mine when I pulled them apart and found the lever pushed away from the star adjuster.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Shane0730
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update: I got 2 of the self-adjusting cables from O'Reillys, they were $5 each. They were an exact match from the factory ones. They were almost exactly the same in length, didn't notice much of a difference when compared. When I installed the new ones I just made sure that when I installed both springs in front of the cable eyelit I nudged it up some to tighten the slack. After that the adjustment lever was making contact with the start wheel and it was good to go. No more scraping and when I did my backing up to equalize the adjusters. I felt my back tires lock up and my e-brake is back to normal. If anyone needs the part number for the adjustment cable it's 3005061 at O'Reillys. Thanks for all the help on short notice!
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
JLSargent
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad your back in business!
JLSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing that holds that adjuster cable guide in its hole is the hook of the spring. It isn't a very solid design and it doesn't always hold the adjuster guide flat against the rear brake shoe bracket. This causes the adjuster cable to slack.

I drilled a hole through both the guide and brake shoe and put a small bolt throught it. That holds the guide snug against the shoe and keeps it seated in its hole no matter what. Of course, the guide doesn't swivel anymore, but still looks to work fine through the cable's range of motion. It's been working great for me for several years.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.