Help! Rear Drum Brake Issues! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
CountryDriven
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help! Rear Drum Brake Issues!

Got a 2000 TJ which I love. Did a full brake job on it a few days ago (pads, shoes, rotor/drum turned, hardware) and have been having issues getting the rear drums to function properly. Not a drum brake fan at the moment, should have just done zj disk swap (might do this if fixing this cost any money and keeps taking alot of time). FYI its a D44. So my issues are that the drums don't seem to want to self adjust and the E-brake does not work whatsoever now. Now I am trying to address these issues but I can't get the drums off. They're locked up. Star adjusters (which I lubed) wont budge. It will let me tighten the star wheel on one side but I'm pretty much bending my fork trying to loosen the star adjuster. No clue what to do at this point. I'm stuck and would appreciate any advice on what to do next. Goal is not to damage any of my new components including the turned drums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

To loosen the adjuster you have to push the lever away from the star or you won't be able to wind it off.

From the FSM...

ADJUSTMENT WITH ADJUSTING TOOL
(1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
(2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
(3) Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
(4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
(5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel (Fig. 62).
(6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
(7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
(8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
(9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
(10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
(11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
(12) Drive vehicle and make one forward stop followed by one reverse stop. Repeat procedure 8-10 times to operate automatic adjusters and equalize adjustment.
NOTE: Bring vehicle to complete standstill at each stop. Incomplete, rolling stops will not activate automatic adjusters.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
CountryDriven
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tried the above posted advice. When I went to drive it to do the braking procedure my drums started smoking and smelled like burning brake pad. Rear drums were also radiating a ton of heat and jeep comes to a halt by itself without me braking. When I push the lever out of the way and push the spoon down to loosen it I bend the spoon and have worn out a few teeth on the star. Any advice on how to get it off or anything I'm doing wrong?

post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
CountryDriven
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking of getting this to get it off.

https://www.napaonline.com/p/SER833
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2017, 04:57 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

PM mrblaine. The Wizard of brakes knows all.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Forcing the drum off like that is going to damage something! At the very lest it will rip the retaining pins out and may tear up your wheel cylinders.
Pushing the adjusting lever out of the way and backing the shoes off can be trying and take some patience...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.