help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help please

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
jdupray

help please

i have put three serpenting belts on my 2003 jeep wrangler se. i have replaced the tensioner pullie and 2 of the idler no slack pullies but it keeps shredding the belt. it runs fine. has all the power but when it sits and then gets started. within 5 mins the belt shredds. can anyone help me i have spent enough money on this and just want it fixed

jdupray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a pulley is either bent or out of line with the rest. Saw this on the ex's minivan...kept shredding the belts.

Remove the belt, then stand to the side to see if you can tell which pulley is off. Staight piece of metal will help. Or the belts weren't installed completely on the crank pulley(easiest one to not get on right), which will chew up and spit out the belt.
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupray View Post
i have put three serpenting belts on my 2003 jeep wrangler se. i have replaced the tensioner pullie and 2 of the idler no slack pullies but it keeps shredding the belt. it runs fine. has all the power but when it sits and then gets started. within 5 mins the belt shredds. can anyone help me i have spent enough money on this and just want it fixed
are you saying that if the vehicle sits for a while and is then started, then the belt shreds ?

have you checked the alignment of the other pulleys ? is 1 pulley sticking out or further in than the rest ?
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
jdupray

it slides around on the tensioner pully. it will come out far enough to hang off the pully and rub on the tensioner itself
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
jdupray

it will run for a while then the next morning when it is started within 20 mins of driving it shreds
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to tell you to try to turn every pulley by hand after you take off the belt...perhaps the a/c or power steering pump pulley is dragging or has bad bearings.

Is there a crack in the fan pulley? (shot in the dark)
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, just read your post about moving on the tensioner. Sounds like something is not lined up right. I see this at work all the time when pulley are not lined up perfectly. The ribs try to hold the belt in place, but the tensioner, idler, and waterpump/fan pulley are smooth and run off the "back" of the belt.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
jdupray

how can i tell which pully is out of line?
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like the idler (or bracket) is not perpendicular. meaning that the pulley surface is at an angle.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
jdupray

it runs for a while. i have driven it for 30 miles no bad sounds or anything. then i just started it to run to the store and within 10 miles it shredded the belt
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Video!! Pics
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing was happening to me. Turned out I left a box of open razors and Christmas ornaments in my engine compartment.
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt , help needed , please help , serpentine belt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.