Help picking a front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help picking a front bumper

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 08-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
R0bdert

Help picking a front bumper

I guys. Well I just purchased a winch today looking to upgrade the front bumper as well. Anybody have recommendations on a good quality front bumper with a winch mount, d ring mounts that will also work with tow bars? I like the look of the stock bumper set up so I'm not trying to get to fancy.
Thanks

R0bdert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
VietVet67
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So use your stock bumper--I took off the milk jugs both front and rear and like the look plus they are lighter than most aftermarket ones--I had a winch on my 04 LJ that way too.
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers

Last edited by VietVet67; 08-22-2015 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: spelin
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another option is to get a front receiver hitch bumper. I have one for mine and love it. You can get a winch plate to mount our winch to, and leave the winch off when you don't need it, and if you do need it it only takes a minute or two to hook up. Plus there's countless other things you can put in receivers, like bike racks, surf rods, cargo carriers. I like having the cargo carrier then when we're hanging out I can take my rear seat out and put it on there and make a bumper sofa!
image-132306225.jpg

eplumer400 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
realbadlarry
2004 LJ Wrangler 

the options are pretty much limitless......how much you want to spend is what is going to determine what you end up with.
realbadlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 03:55 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
What were you saying?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy = Deep pockets.
Stock = Empty pockets.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Working with tow bar may be your limiting factor. I'm sure the RV flat tow crowd has some idea.

Receiver hitch idea mentioned above really depends on your usage. It sounds good in theory and can work for some, but for many is not such a good option when moving from theory to reality.
Unread 08-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
gcdaz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

X2 on the front receiver. I purchased front and back bumpers from thedirtworx.com. It's a basic boxed steel bumper. Not fancy. But he can option it with whatever you want. I skipped the d-ring mounts and reused the factory tow hooks instead. And had him weld in receivers front and back. Since it's IN the bumper, I don't have clearance issues associated with one below the bumper. Anyway, makes a good winch platform and perfect for use with a hi-lift (unlike many of the tapered bumpers). One other thought, I'm not a big fan of stingers, so I had a radiator hoop added instead with a couple supports that protect the winch.
gcdaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Nate's is having a sale
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
R0bdert

I ended up going with the smittybuilt Classic front bumper and the smittybuilt winch plate!both are heavy duty. Very happy with the products
Unread 08-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
What were you saying?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bdert View Post
I ended up going with the Smittybilt Classic front bumper and the Smittybilt winch plate! both are heavy duty. Very happy with the products

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
R0bdert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
???
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Smittybilt isn't too well liked here, and the people who don't like Smittybilt are very vocal and will quickly tell you that you wasted your money, wasted your time, etc., hence the can of worms picture. They will tell you you should've bought a "x" bumper for 2x the price of yours, or "y" bumper for 3x the price. Smittybilt isn't the best, but if you take care of it and don't purposely bash on it it's worked well for some people. People on this forum like to spend other people's money.

By the way boogieman I may have to steal that picture for later use.
eplumer400 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
steve76t
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I recently purchased a Warn Stubby RockCrawler front bumper for my TJ. Love it! Winch mounts directly to the bumper, comes with a fairlead mount, has d-ring mounts and is pre-drilled for driving/fog lights. Unlike most stubby front bumpers, the Warn Stubby IS NOT really a stubby. It's more of a mid-width bumper and is 43" wide. Most other stubby bumpers are very short and don't go past the frame rails of the TJ.
steve76t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Think small, simple, LIGHT.

Most winches have the option of adding a "winch mounting plate" to the stock bumper.
Definitely the simplest choice. Probably the lightest choice. Might be the cheapest choice too.

And tow bars are readily available for the stock bumper.

Unless the Smittybuilt is 10 years old... no
ever since they went off shore the quality is like a can of worms.
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Think small, simple, LIGHT.
Did you mean LITE?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.