Help with oil pan replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with oil pan replacement

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
baaronmiller

Help with oil pan replacement

Hi everyone,

The oil pan on my 2003 Rubicon is just about rusted through. I ordered the parts, oiled up the bolts for a few days, and started in on it. Much to my surprise, almost all of the bolts came loose without a fuss. I needed to wrench on one bolt with a pair of vice grips. The bolts I'm struggling with are at the very front of the pan, and they're blocked by a piece of suspension equipment that was installed by the previous owner. I don't know what it is to Google its removal.

I tried to unbolt and take the piece down, but it would not budge. So here I am, asking for some help from some seasoned professionals.

Here are some pictures. Any advice on what it is and how to remove/lower it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wider view of support piece:

Closer view of blocked bolts:

baaronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like your track bar. Is it bolted to the frame on one end and the axle on the other? If so it's your track bar and it's what keeps your axle centered under your jeep. I've never seen one like that, looks like it could use some rust removal and possible welding. Show us some pictures of both ends.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

that is an Nth Degree front track bar drop bracket for their setup. IIRC, it uses a stock WJ double shear front track bar with a drop pitman arm. it's a pretty nice setup actually and doesn't require too much bumpstop extension to fit as I recall.

anyway, you'll need to loosen the axle side bolt of the track bar with the tires on the ground and the weight on the suspension. then the track bar can be removed and the bracket should be able to be loosened from both ends and dropped. make sure to use lots of PB Blaster.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
That looks like your track bar. Is it bolted to the frame on one end and the axle on the other? If so it's your track bar and it's what keeps your axle centered under your jeep. I've never seen one like that, looks like it could use some rust removal and possible welding. Show us some pictures of both ends.
It's angled the wrong direction to be the track bar.
Unread 07-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
baaronmiller

Thank you for all the replies. I Google image searched, and it is most definitely an Nth degree track bar bracket. I'm resuming work on it again tomorrow, and hopefully I'll report back with great success. Thanks for the help.
baaronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift kit , oil pan , rubicon , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.