Help no four wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help no four wheel drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help no four wheel drive

Hey everyone. Bought this jeep in July of this year. 4hi worked when I bought it and had an understanding of linkage not allowing 4lo to work. My thought at this point " I can fix that ok and I'm not planning on needing 4lo soon". Well, now I have no 4 wheel drive... light not letting me know theres any engagement(this worked when I bought it) and when pulled back to 4lo position, it's almost as if it's in Neutral. Same thing with 4hi, it does not hold in 4hi position... I have to pull it around that small bend and it will sit there, however still not engaging to 4hi. Not sure where to start my search... any leads would be great as I'm trying to prepare it to sell it and am up ***** creek w/o a paddle right now.

OlllllllO http://dirtroad.com/jeepwave/ I wave
wahooz04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the linkage is just loose. You need to get under there and check it.
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

been under it... this isn't my area of expertise... I've checked some other threads... and just need something detailed to know exactly what I should look at and see what nees to be tightened

Unread 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is an adjusting bolt that secures the linkage rod, so this doesn't happen.
Search for youtube on adjusting linkage for TJ's.
Pretty simple. Place shifter in 2H, loosen bolt head, manually move transfer case shifter into 2H, tighten bolt, move shifter into 4H, N and 4L then back to 2H.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooz04jeep View Post
been under it... this isn't my area of expertise... I've checked some other threads... and just need something detailed to know exactly what I should look at and see what nees to be tightened
Would start by whether anything just looks funny. Stuff not connected. Bushings torn or loose. Then I'd focus on the trunnion nut. Sounds like it may be loose already but that's where you'll probably need to make adjustments to get things working again assuming this is the problem. It can help to have somebody else sit in the jeep and pull the handle while you are underneath so you can see the linkage moving, slipping, doing nothing, etc.
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok... thanks guys I'll look at this... is the trunnion nut closer to the handle coming down from the body?

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
There is an adjusting bolt that secures the linkage rod, so this doesn't happen.
Search for youtube on adjusting linkage for TJ's.
Pretty simple. Place shifter in 2H, loosen bolt head, manually move transfer case shifter into 2H, tighten bolt, move shifter into 4H, N and 4L then back to 2H.
So... the one video did not give a very good explanation of the process and the other didn't look like the same components for the linkage... do you have a link for a good video?

Tags
transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.