HELP!!! new rear main seal and oil is pouring out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!! new rear main seal and oil is pouring out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
evilstorm

HELP!!! new rear main seal and oil is pouring out

I put my 03 2.4 tj in the shop to get my rear main seal replaced and while driving it just now i noticed more smoke coming out. I pulled over and the oil was pouring off of my transmission and on fire. I put it out but it almost ran dry.
The oil is coming off of the back of the motor. Is there anywhere else on the rear of the motor that could leak that badly besides the main seal or did the shop just do a crappy job?
Help!!!!

evilstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Pure Evil Jeep Freak!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Drain plug, oil pan.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think the shop should be looking at this. I would suspect improper installation.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
evilstorm

Drain plug has some sealant around it. Im going to take it to a self-serve car wash in a bit and spray down the motor.
The shop is only maybe a mile at most from me and i drove it home and then maybe a mile after that before it started smoking really bad. Pulled over and put out the small flame that had just formed and was going to drive like 10mph to a store that is about 300 yds away. I turned around and drove about 100ft and got under a light to check the oil. It was almost dry. I left it there until i can get some oil in it today and drive it home.
I always park on the street in front of my house. I checked it for a stain. There is a very small stain that formed in the 6 hours that it sat before i drove it.
Im not too happy about dropping $550 and nearly losing my engine
Unread 08-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstorm View Post
Drain plug has some sealant around it. Im going to take it to a self-serve car wash in a bit and spray down the motor.
The shop is only maybe a mile at most from me and i drove it home and then maybe a mile after that before it started smoking really bad. Pulled over and put out the small flame that had just formed and was going to drive like 10mph to a store that is about 300 yds away. I turned around and drove about 100ft and got under a light to check the oil. It was almost dry. I left it there until i can get some oil in it today and drive it home.
I always park on the street in front of my house. I checked it for a stain. There is a very small stain that formed in the 6 hours that it sat before i drove it.
Im not too happy about dropping $550 and nearly losing my engine
If it was mine I would not clean it off. I would want the shop to see it. This way they can't claim you fooled with it.
Mopar03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Phone the shop, tell them what has happened, and ask what they are going to do about it. If they are reputable they will make good. Don't offer to fill it with oil and drive it there, see if they will get it towed (at their expense). Now that you know about the problem, don't do anything that might be construed as contributing to it.
Unread 08-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
evilstorm

Im going to have my buddy pull it up there. When i went to pick it up, i checked the oil and the dipstick was completely dry. Put four quarts in it and drove it back home. It's now pouring out again.
Unread 08-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
evilstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar03 View Post

If it was mine I would not clean it off. I would want the shop to see it. This way they can't claim you fooled with it.
Yeah, im not going to clean it off. I see where it's coming from. Its pouring out from between the bell housing and motor.
Unread 08-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have manual transmission, you may now have oil on the clutch as well. Not a good thing
Unread 08-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
evilstorm

Yeah. I know.
Unread 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
evilstorm

Shop is trying to tell me that pressure built up in the motor and blew it back out
Unread 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Shop is trying to tell me that pressure built up in the motor and blew it back out
"it" being the rear main seal? If an engine is overfilled with oil it can cause higher pressure than it can handle and something will give. That something could very well be the rear main seal.

The problem with filling it and driving it after the initial problem is now you've got to convince the shop that you didn't cause the blow out yourself by over reacting (I'm not saying you did, but they might) to what they could call normal burn off of residual oil resulting from the job itself.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
evilstorm

He tried to tell me that a possible faulty pcv valve caused pressure to build up and blow the seal. He said that pressure had to come from somewhere. First time that i have ever heard of a pcv blowing a seal, but they are checking on it.
If there was too much oil then thats on them. He said that they are taking care of it...
Unread 08-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstorm View Post
He tried to tell me that a possible faulty pcv valve caused pressure to build up and blow the seal. He said that pressure had to come from somewhere. First time that i have ever heard of a pcv blowing a seal, but they are checking on it.
If there was too much oil then thats on them. He said that they are taking care of it...
If the PCV is clogged the old seal would have blown out too, so if you had it replaced because of the typical slow leak then PCV is unlikely. If it was overfilled by the shop they might take issue with you refilling it and say you overfilled it. Doesn't make a lot of sense but something I could see a less than ethical shop arguing. Could just be a fudged job.

Regardless, the best course of action when something goes wrong like this is to never do anything but call the shop and have them tow it back. Even something as benign as refilling the oil could create a bone of contention. I wouldn't have your friend pull you to the shop either, make them tow it (no matter how close).
Unread 08-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If there was indeed pressure built up it seems to me that the dipstick would be the most likely place for the pressure to relieve initially.
TJ4Jim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.