help with new jeep, posible camshaft issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help with new jeep, posible camshaft issues

Tactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 03-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
hansj3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

help with new jeep, posible camshaft issues

I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler that I traded a friend for. when I first got it it had a blown motor.he managed to crack a cylinder and it was leaking coolant all over the place. the only engine that I found in my area was out of an 88 MJ.after swapping out brackets and oil pan and replaced the timing chain, I got her running. the engine itself has relatively low miles and had good even compression across the board. I test drove it after I had it together and it had an issue. it would bog right off of throttle and nearly stall unless I eased into the throttle. it would also not have any power well below normal my top speed was maybe 60 and it took forever to get there it has 235 70 15 tires so it shouldn't be an issue and its not even loaded down with really anything. The po said it would keep up with traffic at 75 mph.
the problem I think I'm having is low manifold vacuum. ive checked and replaced gaskets, there are no obiovous leaks. What the ECU sees is like 13 inches of vacuum. I have tried several MAP sensors two new and several junkyard pull offs and it doesn't seem to matter which one I put in. There are no codes. this leads me to the crux of my question is the Renix cam that much different from the MPFI camshaft? That'sthe only part that might matter that iI didn't swap

hansj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I have installed various years in just about any combo and never had a issue with what you have..

Oriely Auto parts has a neat way of showing compatible vehicles.

97 up

• Camshafts
  • Used With Hydraulic Lifters
  • Advertised Duration (Deg): 256 Intake/260 Exhaust
  • Duration At 0.050 Inch Lift (Deg): 188 Intake/192 Exhaust
1983-1995
  • UPC: 729295131960
  • Camshafts
  • Used With Hydraulic Lifters
  • Advertised Duration (Deg): 270 Intake/270 Exhaust
  • Duration At 0.050 Inch Lift (Deg): 196 Intake/196 Exhaust
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
hansj3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went on a test drive today to try and figure out a better way to describe the problems I'm having. under 2000 rpm if I give it more than a third throttle it's like somebody shut off the ignition. under 3200 rpm if so if I give it more than a third throttle it pops and bucks and it's as if I have no more power, but it will maintain speed.above 3200 rpm it feels as if the engine is putting out normal power the torque Peaks right around 4000 rpm and after that it feels wheasy until red line. It idles just like every 2.5 and 4.0 I've ever come across, there is a faint smell, kind of like its running rich

has anyone ever come across anything like this? this Jeep is driving me up the wall
hansj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the timing is off
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

test timing at idle and at higher rpm... Just to see what its doing.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.