help new crate motor not starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help new crate motor not starting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
warnerwrangler

help new crate motor not starting

I have a 2001 tj sport so its a 4.0 with a manual transmisson. i recently purchased a new jasper motor 4.0 to replace my old one. We have the motor installation complete but its not starting. We do have oil pressure, gas and spark. What we dont have down is the timing. From what Ive read it usually comes down to the cam postion sensor< not sure if thats the name but its located where the distributor usually is>. From other posts ive also heard about markings on the balancer but on my motor there are none. The people that are helping me are very knowledgable on carburated motor not sooo much on fuel injected... Any tips would be helpful thank you

warnerwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not familiar with the particular '01 setup but you should be able to turn crankshaft to TDC and verify that your cam sensor is in the right location in relation to TDC. Good luck
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
warnerwrangler

We were able to get the motor to TDC by removing the spark plug. However the cam sensor is the puzzling part for us. How do we know thats in the right postion.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

After looking around on the web a little, it appears the '01 still has a distributor with a rotor. You'll need the rotor to be at the #1 plug on the distributor cap.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
BON
2008 JK Wrangler 

Put engine at tdc take out distributor and cam sensor there should be a hole on bottom of dist and a couple like 3 on the plastic under where cam sensor put something thru plastic and dist like a nail to lock it and install dist back and should start right up
BON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
rlk_99
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you dont have the conventional cap and rotor and have the coil rail like the 02's have then you need to pull the pick up, set the oil pump drive to the 10 o'clock position and bring cylinder #1 up to top dead center (TDC). Once that is set then you have to look at the pick up itself. In the area that the sensor bolts there is a whole. It is at the very bottom and you'll have to look VERY close to find it. Once youve found it line up the whole in the bottom of the tone ring with it and use something like a pin or a small cotter key to lock it in place. If everything is set right then it should drop right into place and fire up.
Unread 01-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
warnerwrangler

thanks everyone for your responses ill have to try it this afternoon

Tags
cps , motor , not starting , timing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.