Help needed asap. TJ will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help needed asap. TJ will not start

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
APEX_Wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help needed asap. TJ will not start

OK, so I got into the jeep this morning, and she REFUSED to start, or even attempt to. Since it is a manual, I pop start it down my hill, and drive over to store to look for some things, thinking it was a dead battery. I get to the store, I shut the car off, try to start it again, she fires up. I get what I need from the store, and try to start her again, nothing. I pop start it, and limp her home. I checked the spark plugs because I read somewhere that might have something to do with it, and didn't do anything. It actually may have made it worse because now when I pop started it to get out of the garage, it idols very poorly and wants to stall. I'm going to try a new ignition switch tomorrow. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

APEX_Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Two of my Jeeps did that when the battery was bad.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'd say either the battery terminals aren't tight to the posts/have corrosion or the battery is bad. I had one on our TJ act up yet when tested, it was 'good'. After it was tested, I still couldn't start it. Being that I was stranded at O'reilly Auto and jumping it didn't work, I figured I may as well try a new battery. That did the trick.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
APEX_Wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think its the battery. I have radio, dome light, and the lights on the dash don't dim when I try to start it. I think it might be the ignition switch or the starter solenoid.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could also be the ignition actuator pin has broke. Here is a thread for replacing it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig...epair-1378503/
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
mchadpayne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same thing just happen to me. I took the column apart and the plug for the ignition switch was not making good contact. Wiggled it while trying to start it and it fired up. If you can feel the spring when you turn it to start the ignition switch is prob still good. The yellow wire coming out of the ignition plug is the start wire. I would test that wire and see if your getting fire there. If not its prob the ignition. From there the yellow wire goes to the clutch cut off and comes out yellow with a red stripe. You can unplug it and make a small jumper wire to go between the terminals.
mchadpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX_Wrangler View Post
I don't think its the battery. I have radio, dome light, and the lights on the dash don't dim when I try to start it.
Neither did mine.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Start simple. Have the battery checked. It's fast and easy and worst case eliminates the obvious. If the battery is ok, it's on to connections. Clean them up and make sure your grounds are good. Again, 10 minutes of effort.

If nothing show up there then it's time to move onto the next possibility.
JStMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
APEX_Wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I changed the ignition switch, and got nothing. It has power going to the starter relay, but no power to that starter motor. Any idea how to test if there is power going to the starter motor?
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should get 12v between the solenoid (positive terminal) and ground when the key is in the start position.

If you have power to the solenoid and it is functioning properly you will hear a click (or series of rapid clicks) when you turn the key. If no click and you have verified good power to the terminal then the solenoid is likely bad.
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take the starter off and have it tested at the auto parts store.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
APEX_Wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I tested the starter and it passed with flying colors. Any other ideas? I'm thinking it's a short after the starter relay.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

By tested the starter, what do you mean?
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
APEX_Wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Took it off, and had Advanced Auto check it on their machine. When I got home and put it back on, with the new ignition switch, old one failed, and new ignition actuator pin, it fired right up. She now runs as good as the day I bought her.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX_Wrangler View Post
OK, so I got into the jeep this morning, and she REFUSED to start, or even attempt to. Since it is a manual, I pop start it down my hill, and drive over to store to look for some things, thinking it was a dead battery. I get to the store, I shut the car off, try to start it again, she fires up. I get what I need from the store, and try to start her again, nothing. I pop start it, and limp her home. I checked the spark plugs because I read somewhere that might have something to do with it, and didn't do anything. It actually may have made it worse because now when I pop started it to get out of the garage, it idols very poorly and wants to stall. I'm going to try a new ignition switch tomorrow. Any other advice would be much appreciated.
You may want to consider doing some of the "dirty dozen" checking ALL the ground points in the engine can't hurt.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
dennyps is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.