Help Needed!!! 3 spd auto problems after rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Needed!!! 3 spd auto problems after rebuild

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
kblackstone829
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help Needed!!! 3 spd auto problems after rebuild

I just had my TJ transmission rebuilt and got it back yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't go to a shop but a guy well known to build transmissions around my area. I got it home and everything works great. Gears shift perfectly. Reverse worked good. Except for when the Jeep reaches the normal operation temperature. Now its binding in reverse. (feels like the transmission is going to fall out.).. The transmission was rebuilt completely. (as far as i know. :/) any suggestions of what this might be?

Also the Jeep will not go into 4WD. I was thinking maybe the linkage to the transfer case is adjusted wrong? Or could the transfer case be my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kblackstone829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering what the guy who did your tranny work says about the problems--is he still around? The problem with not shifting into 4WD could certainly be explained by a linkage problem. You can fiddle with the linkage from underneath to see if it will engage.
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
kblackstone829
1998 TJ Wrangler 

he came by this evening. and told me the transmission coolant line was probably the problem. said there was a check valve installed in the factory ones that were known to stop up. i took the old one off. but it has good air flow through both ends. so no check valve. i'm going to change it tomorrow but i'm almost certain this line isn't the problem being that it isn't stopped up. Although it does seem to make sense that it only has this problem at normal running temperature.
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone829 View Post
he came by this evening. and told me the transmission coolant line was probably the problem. said there was a check valve installed in the factory ones that were known to stop up.
Never heard of the anti-flowback valve in the line clogging up?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
kblackstone829
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Neither have I. Could the cooling system for the transmission be causing this problem possibly though? Maybe I should take it to a shop and let them check it out.
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
kblackstone829
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission shop says Torque Converter. Hopefully he's right. Not a horrible price to fix.
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
JackSchitt1978
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was gonna ask if the guy replaced the torque converter. How much did you pay him? I would ask him politely to install the torque converter for you.
JackSchitt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice , binding , help needed , transfer case , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.