Help! Mystery Nut! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Mystery Nut!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
TNbeach

2007 JK Wrangler 

Help! Mystery Nut!

This nut fell out of my 01 this morning. I started up the Jeep this morning and it fell out. It was laying under the skid plate, more rear than forward. I drove about fifteen or twenty miles and it drove fine. When I got to my dad's house, I crawled under and couldn't find anywhere that it could have fallen from. I think the nut is 1 1/2 in. It is bigger then 1 1/4 in, that was the biggest wrench in the garage here. As the pictures show, it's some kind of a stop-nut. So does anyone recognize it or have any ideas...? Thanks guys.

0729121256.jpg   0729121257.jpg   0729121257a.jpg  
TNbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Some type of exhaust nut? Or maybe it got kicked up into your Jeep? Idk, doesn't look familiar.

edit: O2 bung?
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
TNbeach

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks a lot! I'll check that out. You might be right about it being kicked up from somewhere else. It looked a lot bigger than anything I have ever seen under the Wrang.
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
Some type of exhaust nut? Or maybe it got kicked up into your Jeep? Idk, doesn't look familiar.

That was my first thought as well...

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

The nut has an inner lip, more like the ones that hold fluid lines or sensor............
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Touche good sir

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post

O2 bungs are welded into the pipe normally.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think it came from your Jeep Tht looks like a nut that would be on something like a a/c line they do not come off unless the line is cut It was likely kicked up on the road.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller0737 View Post
I don't think it came from your Jeep Tht looks like a nut that would be on something like a a/c line they do not come off unless the line is cut It was likely kicked up on the road.
I agree, a few weeks ago I replaced the clutch in my 06, so I had the skid plate off, tranny and tcase out, so I had a pretty good view of just about everything up and under there and it doesn't look like anything I remember seeing. But I did find about 5 pounds of dirt, sand and rocks on the inside of my skid plate, so I'd be willing to bet it wound up up there.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
kkhrod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed a long arm lift a few weeks back, so needless to say I've been under my Jeep a number of hours to install and go through and re tighten. I haven't seen any nut that resembles the one you have pictured. A case of a kicked up nut.
kkhrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
alittleoff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It looks galvanized, probably plumbing road kill. I just wonder if those are safety wire loops?
Unread 07-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
TNbeach

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks a lot guys. I thought (and hoped) it was foreign. It looked too big to be from the Jeep. I replaced the clutch twice back in Jan/Feb, and I wondered if it could be from that. But I guess not, thank God!

Tags
mystery , nut , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.