Help. My tail Light is not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. My tail Light is not working

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
scmtzc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help. My tail Light is not working

So in my 02 Wrangler X, I have recently had a problem. Also, I am not familiar with the wiring layout of the wrangler. A few years ago my grounds went out in my tail lights/ brake lights, so there are "new" grounds run from the two rear bulb mounting plates to the chassis of the vehicle, this solved my faulty tail light problem ~3 yrs ago. Recently though, my right tail light has stopped functioning? the turn signal works fine which is weird because it is the 2nd filament of the same bulb, leading me to believe is was a bulb malfunction, so i switched bulbs from the right to left and vice versa. The left tail light/turn signal worked fine while the right turn signal still operated but the tail light did not. Im not sure where to start troubleshooting, I do have a multimeter if anyone has any suggestions. I appreciate any help.

scmtzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Turn/stop share the same wire. If turn signal work and brake doesn't you should be looking at the housing or further up.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
masol
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tail and brake lights share the ground so it is working, verify if 12 vdc is present, use the multimeter
masol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masol
Tail and brake lights share the ground so it is working, verify if 12 vdc is present, use the multimeter
Stock they all share the same ground. The bulb bases ground through the tail light housing, through the bolts, then the body.

There are 3 wires coming from the stock harness, reverse, parking lights (low intensity), and stop/turn signal (high intensity).

There are two bulbs in the housing. 1 is the reverse and the other is a dual filament/dual contact bulb that can output the two intensities.

If stop is working but not turn, it's a problem further up in the wiring and you can rule out a ground problem, since they are the same bulb.

OP, what EXACTLY isn't working. Stop lights, turn signal, or parking lights?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really curious as to why you have separate ground wires run tot he chassis because as mentioned, the tail-lights are grounded through the housing to the tub of the Jeep. I would start there for diagnosing a problem because that is not right.

Should you be satisfied that your gerry-rigged grounds are working, then I would suggest that possibly the plugs off the harness for the tail-lights might be building up corrosion... pull them apart, use some wd40 to clean them out and then pack them with dielectric grease.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
hatfield44
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure nothing (carpet if you still have it, etc...) is getting between the contacts where the back door meets the tub.

Tags
bulb , light , signal , tail light , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.