HELP -- My Front Driveshaft is Hitting the Transmission Crossmember!?!? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

HELP -- My Front Driveshaft is Hitting the Transmission Crossmember!?!?

So I think I've tracked down this strange noise I sometimes get while wheeling in bigger rocks. Evidently my front driveshaft rubs on my crossmember when the axle is drooped. Here are some pics.

I've jacked up the front of the car by the driver's side frame rail to let the axle droop. You should be able to see where the driveshaft has been hitting the cross-member, and it's just about touching right now.

Closeup

Anybody know why this is happening, and how I should address it?
Build info is in my sig.

Thanks for any info!!

2005 Rubicon, Currie JJ SA lift with AEV 3" springs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Red_
2016 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Are you lifted? It shouldn't hit under normal circumstances
post #3 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lifted 3". Just installed it a couple of weeks ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."

post #4 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 AM
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a transmission skid plate mount to me. You can probably take it off till you find something better to replace it. Like the one from skid row or something.

Chris

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you're right. It's just the skid plate mount. I guess I could grind it to add some clearance. But, I'm wondering why I haven't heard of folks having this problem before.

Thanks!

post #6 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a crappy design to me. My 97 has no issues, even with a tummy tuck. Of course, my engine/trans skid is nowhere near the driveshafty and doesn't cross frame rail to frame rail.

Anyways, yours hits due to the greater droop available with the lift.

97 TJ Sport - 4.0/HP D30 w ARB/8.8 w LS/4.88s; 35s and flat fenders on 2.5 lift

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 AM
chmo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a common problem with lifted wranglers with auto tranny and OE tranny skid.
There is a write up in the net (link not at hand) of how to modify the crossmember for driveshaft clearance.
This crossmember is NOT carrying anything else besides the skid it self and of course should be strong enough not to bend if you put your Jeep on its belly .

So what the mod actually does is cutting the crossmember and welding in a reverse U which goes above the DS. Simple hack and weld job with the right measurements and some black rustoleum paint.

(If you can do it for cheaper than buying a skidrow tranny/engine skid which covers the oil pan as well and mounts to the OE transfer case skid )

cheers
post #8 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 AM
gregdean13
2004 LJ Wrangler 

or for now you can just cut off that side, mine was like that for a while.

"not all those who wander are lost"
post #9 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 AM
TheBoogieman
Made in the USA

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
Yeah, you're right. It's just the skid plate mount. I guess I could grind it to add some clearance. But, I'm wondering why I haven't heard of folks having this problem before.

Thanks!
That problem happens whenever you lift an auto(03-06) because of the skid up front on 03-06's.Simply take a sawsall or hack saw,cut half way through the crossmember directly under the driveshaft where it hits and 5" wide,then bend the piece back to keep the support on the skid.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 AM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
That problem happens whenever you lift an auto(03-06) because of the skid up front on 03-06's.Simply take a sawsall or hack saw,cut half way through the crossmember directly under the driveshaft where it hits and 5" wide,then bend the piece back to keep the support on the skid.
X2. One more thing to think about when lifting a Jeep with the 42RLE.

If you're staying on the pavement, just take the "t-shaped" part that's hitting the driveshaft off. There's 1 bolt into the frame on each side and I think 2 holding that part onto the t-case skid. Just leave the t-case skid in place.

Mine is gone in anticipation of being replaced by the Savvy under armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #11 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
F9K9
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't buy Rusty's tranny skid. You'll have the same problem. I just gave mine away after modifying it 4 times.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys! I can't believe after two years of reading this forum, I never of this problem before. How come ya'll didn't say anything on my build thread, huh?

Time to get out the hacksaw and play with the welder. Oh, and I do have a message into Gerald about being a tester for their skid when it comes out for the Rubicon auto.

Thanks again!

post #13 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM
F9K9
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
...........Oh, and I do have a message into Gerald about being a tester for their skid when it comes out for the Rubicon auto...........
Get back in line, kid!

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just cut the support at the skid and unbolted it at the frame. It's still pretty sturdy I ran plenty of hard trails with lots of rocks and never had a problem. Now Ive got a Full Traction Engine/Trans skid that bolts to their belly skid.
post #15 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Tags
drive shaft , front drive shaft , transmission cross member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.